Windows cannot find 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin\Origin.exe'.

by vel0cityboys

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Windows cannot find 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin\Origin.exe'.

★★★ Newbie

"Windows cannot find 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin\Origin.exe'. Make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again."

I started having this problem a few days ago after impulsivly trying to make space by "cleaning" Windows (cStandard smile, im gonna be honest, i dont remember what i did or if i caused did mysefl (probably did).

anyway, i get this pop up when trying to open Origin, i unisntalled (which i had to do with the help of another program since trying to unisntal also gives me this pop up), i tried the renaming origin.exe thing and it works but when i want to play the sims 4 it wont open the game , it just flashes the origin tab, i want to know if is there anyway i can fix this.

basically nothing on the origin file works, it always this pop and when renamed it just wont open The Sims.

(first time posting here, i dont know about computers and my first language isnt english its spanish)

Message 1 of 11 (8,281 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: Windows cannot find 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin\Origin.exe'.

@vel0cityboys  It sounds like you deleted some essential Origin file, or rather your cleaner app did.  That's why it's never a good idea to use these apps unless you want to remove something specific from your computer.  They can often delete important files that they mistakenly recognize as duplicates.

The best approach now is to do a clean uninstall of Origin.  First, clear its cache:

https://help.ea.com/en-us/help/faq/clear-cache-to-fix-problems-with-your-games/

Then uninstall "the hard way":

https://help.ea.com/en-us/help/origin/origin/manually-uninstalling-origin/

(This won't delete your installed games.)  You can now reinstall Origin and see whether it runs properly.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.

View in thread

Message 2 of 11 (8,241 Views)

All Replies

@vel0cityboys  It sounds like you deleted some essential Origin file, or rather your cleaner app did.  That's why it's never a good idea to use these apps unless you want to remove something specific from your computer.  They can often delete important files that they mistakenly recognize as duplicates.

The best approach now is to do a clean uninstall of Origin.  First, clear its cache:

https://help.ea.com/en-us/help/faq/clear-cache-to-fix-problems-with-your-games/

Then uninstall "the hard way":

https://help.ea.com/en-us/help/origin/origin/manually-uninstalling-origin/

(This won't delete your installed games.)  You can now reinstall Origin and see whether it runs properly.

Message 2 of 11 (8,242 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Thankyou so much I'll give it a go. 

Message 3 of 11 (8,235 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Thankyou Standard smile so much. 

Message 4 of 11 (8,232 Views)

★★★ Newbie

I appreciate you taking the time to walk me through how to delete the files the hard way.  However, after I successfully delete everything and I go to reinstall Origin, it acts correctly at first and then when it begins to update origin the same error message pops up.  Windows cannot find 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin\Origin.exe'. Make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again.

Message 5 of 11 (7,855 Views)

@pbjelly32  Uninstall again, download the full installer, and run it as an admin: right-click on the download and select "Run as administrator."  This is a direct download link:

http://download.dm.origin.com/origin/live/OriginSetup.exe

Message 6 of 11 (7,832 Views)

★★★ Novice
@pbjelly32 You just need to re-install the origin launcher in another path like for example create a folder at c:/ and put it there : 'C:\Origin' and it should work Standard smile !
Message 7 of 11 (7,761 Views)

★★★ Newbie
@puzzlezaddict Again, thank you for your help with the proper deletion. My son's last day of school is tomorrow and I know he will enjoy gaming again!
Message 8 of 11 (7,743 Views)

★★★ Newbie
@Fleam93 I want to thank you for your suggestion of moving the path to just the C:\ this solved the issue I was having! My son will be happy to be gaming with me this summer!
Message 9 of 11 (7,742 Views)

★★★★★ Newbie

Hey, Ive been having the same problem for a while now, and I tried everything you said, I followed "the hard way" and its still not working. Do you know if there is another way to make it work???

Message 10 of 11 (7,290 Views)