Windows 10, Origin, and Network Drives

by WizPip

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Windows 10, Origin, and Network Drives

★★★★ Novice

Hello all,

I had Windows 8.1 and Origin installed on a network drive Game controller, and everything was dandy.

I upgraded to Windows 10. Origin couldn't update one of my games and threw an error when it started (G:\Origin\OriginClientService.exe The parameter is incorrect) and because there was an update for it, I could not play that game. The other games were still playable.

I downloaded the installer in an effort to reinstall, but the installer could not see any of my network drives, so I was at a loss.

I then contacted Origin chat support.

I told the operative everything above, and he made me manually uninstall Origin from my G drive. He then told me to install it again, but the installer still did not see my network drives. After some miscomprehension on the operatives part, he finally asked me to install it onto my C drive instead. I told him that this drive was full, and that's why I keep games stored on my network drive.

At this point he decided that installing it onto my C drive was the solution, and terminated the chat session. Now, whilst I'm sure this would work, I don't have the available space to do this. The chat operative in effect rendered every single one of my Origin games unplayable, and I'm quite miffed about it to say the least.

When will EA update the Origin installer / Service so that it once again recognises my network drives, like it did under Windows 8.1? Just for reference, I also have GOG and Steam installed on my network G drive, and both are functioning without problem.

Thanks!

Phil

Message 1 of 30 (13,512 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: Windows 10, Origin, and Network Drives

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Expert
Message 14 of 30 (15,387 Views)

All Replies

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Expert

Hello @wizpip 

I have installed Origin in partition'' C '' and 2 games for better performance (BF4 and Titanfall) because I have SSD .

Then I created a folder Origin Games in partition'' D '' since there i had much space and I still have 20 games and I want to install them.

And now you need to change the path to download your games .

Go in Origin / Applications Settings Advanced Downloaded Games -Your games will be installed to the following locations : -change in  D:\Origin games\

And now you see  Game Installers do not change anything  here.

If you do so you will not have any kind of problems and so you  solve your issues = network drives and enough space .

All my best.Wink

@yahel_1
I am just a gamer wich trying to help another gamer.
I do not work for EA.

Spoiler
My Opinion is no more important or right than yours.

Retired champion.
Message 2 of 30 (13,478 Views)

★★★★ Novice

This does not work as you expect it to.

Origin when installed on C does not have the ability do download or update any games on my network G drive. This is the same behaviour as I experienced in Windows 8.1, and the reason I installed the Origin client to the G drive in the first place. But this isn't possible with the current installer on Windows 10.

When you say you have a partition D, is this a logical drive of the same computer, or a network drive?

Message 3 of 30 (13,444 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Expert

Hello @WizPip

My C drive is on SSD and D drive is on HDD.

I have  partition, sometimes also called a volume, is an area on a hard disk or ssd  that can be formatted with a file system and identified with a letter of the alphabet. For example, drive C D on most Windows computers is a partition.

Spoiler
iN Windows, when you use Disk Management , MMC snap-in, to create partitions on a basic disk, the first three partitions you create are primary partitions. These can be used to start an operating system. If you want to create more than three partitions, the fourth partition is created as an extended partition.
An extended partition is a way to get around a limit on the number of primary partitions a basic disk can have. An extended partition is a container that can hold one or more logical drives. Logical drives function like primary partitions except that they cannot be used to start an operating system.

I would suggest you to change the security firewall settings-turn OFF  and / or disable security software on the system and check to see if you can now install Origin .

And please make sure that the NAS(Network Attached Storage) drive status is normal, as a test. Also try to reset and reconfigure your NAS with the users’ guide.

All my best.Standard smile
I do not work for EA.

Spoiler

Retired champion.
Message 4 of 30 (13,408 Views)

★★★★ Novice

With both my anti-virus and Windows Firewall off, and running the installer as Administrator, it still cannot see any of my network drives.

Note that Steam, GOG, and Windows can all see them perfectly well.

Message 5 of 30 (13,366 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Expert

Hello @WizPip

I hope it's work this step because I  don't have other ideaRaised eyebrowas I say so .

First of all please make sure you run as Administrator in your system (OS) .

And now go in Start windows / case Run / type cmd

In your case CMD type this...

>>>> mklink /d "C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\" "G:\Destination directory(created by you) \Origin  Games or whatever you want"  <<<<

Windows will create the virtual link. After you have made the link, go and actually create that alternative directory. Run Origin, install the game, and see if your Windows puts it to that new directory.

If this step doesn't work, you're doing something wrong and please try again .

All my best.Wink

@yahel_1
I do not work for EA.

Spoiler

Retired champion.
Message 6 of 30 (13,336 Views)

★★★★ Novice

Symbolic link created successfully, but Origin can't write to it.

http://imgur.com/ze3s6mk

Message 7 of 30 (13,269 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Expert

Hello @WizPip

When you have done the step above you  Run as Administrator Origin ? I ask because it is very important to do this . (hence the error -I guessOops  )

How to run the setup file Origin with Admin rights  http://help.ea.com/en/article/how-do-i-run-a-program-or-a-game-as-an-administrator/#2

If you do not work yet , go in Safe Mode with Networking and Install Origin https://www.origin.com/en-ie/download  in your network drive and a game the lowest (as a size ) you have .

If you managed to do this , restart your PC and you can try a Clean Boot In this case, they can be eliminated as the source of the problem http://help.ea.com/en/article/how-to-clean-boot-your-pc/

For more info. click Spoiler

Spoiler
-you need to press the key combination: “Windows Key + R”;
In the “Run” window, type the message “msconfig” without quotes;
-you need to left click on the “OK” button;
Select “General” tab, from the toolbar and chose the feature called “ Selective startup”;
-uncheck the box found in the left of the message: “ Load startup items”;
Select “Service” tab, from the toolbar;
-check the box in the left of message: “Hide all Microsoft services”;
Left click on the “Disable all” button, found on the lower-right side of the window;
Left click on the “OK” button;
-a new message box will prompt on your display. Left click on the “Restart” button in order to restart your operating system.
NOTE save any open files and close all programs before restarting your computer.

All my best.Wink

@yahel_1
I do not work for EA.

Spoiler

Retired champion.
Message 8 of 30 (13,235 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Novice

Thanks for trying to help me, but the problem is definitely Origin and not my setup.

I have 9 devices connected to my network disks (18 networking devices total) via a Gbit smart switch / AC access point, one of which is a Windows 10 PC connected to 8 separate shares. This PC is running Steam, GOG, and several video / music services via these network drives all perfectly well.

The only thing that's giving me problems is Origin. Even with admin rights, safe mode, previous version emulation, etc etc, Origin cannot find network shares in Windows 10.

Message 9 of 30 (13,219 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Expert

@WizPip Hi

I have a request to you , is the last Wondering

Please do this -  turn OFF User Account Control (UAC) in Windows http://windows.microsoft.com/en-ie/windows/turn-user-account-control-on-off#1TC=windows-7 

Restart your PC and check if these settings  remained and now run the setup file Origin with Admin rights  http://help.ea.com/en/article/how-do-i-run-a-program-or-a-game-as-an-administrator/#2  and try to install into your network drive , Origin and one game .

I think I might succeed nowStandard smile

All my best.Wink

@yahel_1
I do not work for EA.

Spoiler

Retired champion.
Message 10 of 30 (13,212 Views)