Re: Why was "Automatically exit Origin after closing game" removed?

by Rythen180

Original Post

[ Edited ]
★★ Novice

2 years, still waiting...

This was a bad decision to make. Not only is the client buggy and no one wants it, EA missed the most basic feature ALL game clients have. EA has a bad habit of making bad decisions. If it weren't for Apex Legends, I would have never installed this client in the first place (removed it before because I quit playing EA products due to this client and EA as a company). Now you trick me to keep this open in the background as you silently collect my data. This is a scumbag move on EA's part. There is absolutely no reason to remove this feature and it's not hard to implement. This was removed because EA wanted to make it inconvenient to close the client, this is a fact. They want it to run to collect data. EA could care less that it is invasive and actually conflicts with other systems that people actually want. **sarcasm** Thanks EA  **sarcasm**

In all honesty, this feature not being implemented is enough to make me uninstall the client again and stop playing Apex Legends all together. Good job EA...

Message 21 of 29 (3,088 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Novice

Made an AHK script that achieves this functionality. I use this to launch Apex Legends (you can easily edit to run any game) and have it automatically shut down Origin after I'm done playing. It's part of a larger script I created to automate the process of connecting my PS4 controller and rebinding the buttons but here are the relevant bits. Should work if you copy/paste as is into notepad and save as .ahk (assuming AHK is installed in your system):

Spoiler

;Launch Apex Legends
Run, r5apex.exe, C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\Apex\

;Wait for Apex Legends to load

loop
{
WinWait, Apex Legends

;Once loaded, wait for Apex Legends to close
WinWaitClose

;Small delay after closing for stability purposes
sleep 2000

;Check to ensure Apex Legends is closed. If so,
IfWinNotExist, Apex Legends
{

;Kill Origin launcher after playing
process, close, origin.exe

;Kill the AHK script
exit
}

}

Message 22 of 29 (2,907 Views)

★★ Apprentice

"@Dazznap

Hi,

There are several options that did not make it into the new client - we are however investigating in bringing the missing options back.

--Tom"

Two and a half years! Who is investigating this? Robert Mueller?

Message 23 of 29 (2,757 Views)

★★★★★ Newbie

@McRandom You sir, just won the internet. Good day.

Message 24 of 29 (2,724 Views)

★★ Novice

So basically confirming that EA does what it wants and doesn't care about its clients?  Guess if they don't care then I as well will have to remove some features EA releases as well, mainly Origin and any product that goes with it. I could get them on console but again if they don't care about something so easy to fix I guess it is time to move on.

Message 25 of 29 (2,522 Views)

★★★ Novice

when is the close origin option gonna be added back?

Message 26 of 29 (2,028 Views)

★ Novice

Never. EA doesn't care. They want it to stay open so you have to deal with it and in the hope you make another purchase. I've seen EA do some shady and lazy things, but trying to trick you into keeping it open, and the way they try to assert themselves as a better platform (as apposed to Steam) by keeping most of their content private really shows how hard they want to dominate the community rather than be a part of it. The only games I even have Origin installed for is Mass Effect 3 and Dead Space 3. I have my games in my steam Library for easy access. after closing a game Origin remains open and steam still thinks I'm playing that game. It's * like this that get people to give up on a company. None of their new content is worth this BS, or even the $15 charge for their membership. As soon as I'm done with these games I hope to forget what Origin is.

Message 27 of 29 (1,925 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Novice

Please delete this post.

Message 28 of 29 (1,025 Views)

★★ Novice

no because EA and origin are a virus that are only good at taking your money and then throwing all your concerns to the curb.  Do what I am in the process of after they punished me for getting hacked by someone in china.. delete your account and move on to better companies that respect their customers.

Message 29 of 29 (772 Views)