Why is Origin Validating/Updating a Game that's not Installed through Origin?

by MichaelHaylett

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Why is Origin Validating/Updating a Game that's not Installed through Origin?

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Novice

I have Dragon Age Origins on Steam installed. Why because the Origin version I also have (I forget why I have it twice) wigs out and has all types of problems the Steam version does not. So my question is this - why is the EA Origin Client currently validating a game that isn't installed through its own client and now apparently updating a game that isn't installed through its own client? A 9 GB update I should mention for a game not exactly new! I have it hidden in fact in Origin - its not installed nor is it shown unless I specifically ask Origin to show me it. What the hell is it doing? Has it gone rogue and this is Skynet's first foray into turning humans mad through technological incongruity? Why does Origin continue to be so sub par compared to Steam. Uninstall a game and it takes you to the bog standard Windows uninstall application instead of an in-client seemless experience. It's all just so messy.

Any clues on why its doing this?

EDIT - Oh and now my Steam version of Dragon Age Origins won't launch. Missing Executable - I followed the Steam instructions for a fix but nope. Has Origins really altered my Steam game? Does it now recognise when a game is not installed through its own self? Is it forcing me to not use the Steam version that works and instead the Origin version that gives me technical problems? What the dickens is going on?

EDIT 2 - Got my Steam version working after validating the files, re-downloading 5 of them which I assume Origin deleted? and then having to * about for a Physxdll file for it to finally launch. I ask again - is Origin altering my files from a game I bought on Steam and rendering it unplayable? If so - why?

Message 1 of 10 (2,491 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: Why is Origin Validating/Updating a Game that's not Installed through Origin

EA DICE Team

@MichaelHaylett

I never encountered your situation before. So, yes--I made a mistake.. Devil 

To summarize: if Auto Updates are enabled and Origin finds DA:O in your Windows registry, then it will update these files, regardless if they are on Origin or Steam.

I am however not sure why the Origin version would give you texture problems. It is the exact same game except for the Origin version actually being fully updated opposed to the Steam version. I am currently not aware of other players posting about texture problems with their game.

Lastly, you can find all game patches and DLC on the Bioware website to make sure that you have the latest version for your Steam version:

View in thread

Message 10 of 10 (2,572 Views)

All Replies

Re: Why is Origin Validating/Updating a Game that's not Installed through Origin

EA DICE Team

@MichaelHaylett

It sounds like you were running Steam and Origin at the same time.

I would recommend to turn off automatic game updates via the Origin - Application Settings - Updates section. Especially if you own the game on both platforms. It could be that Origin detected the game and went looking for updates since this option was enabled. Though I have to add that I never heard of this happening when the game was installed via Steam.

Please check your Origin client settings again and make sure to turn off automatic updates. I would also recommend not to run both game clients at the same time as they can interfere with each other.

Message 2 of 10 (2,453 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Novice

@Straatford87

But why is Origin looking in a Folder that isn't its own for a game that isn't installed via itself? You can understand my question. If I used one Folder called Steam/Origin/GOG/Uplay I could maybe understand this. Why is it looking for a game that as far as it knows is not installed? No game called Dragon Age Origins is in its Folder. And to solve this I have to turn off auto updates? For all games? This is 2016 isn't it? Why can't I delete this game inside the Origin client so it doesn't go looking in places it shouldn't? Why is it looking in places it shouldn't?

Message 3 of 10 (2,450 Views)

[ Edited ]
EA DICE Team

@MichaelHaylett

I haven't heard of this happening before. Therefore the only thing that I could think of when providing suggestions to you on the cause of Origin updating Dragon Age, is having Auto Updates enabled. However, it will never do that to files outside of a folder designated by Origin, and it will only do so to a game that is already installed.

If you are sure that you haven't got any Dragon Age files in your Origin Games folder, then I haven't got further answers for you at the moment. If you have any further information to provide such as specific files, folders, perhaps screenshots, then I might be able to have this looked into for you.

Message 4 of 10 (2,444 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Novice

@Straatford87

See the screenshot for the Origin Folder. You can see Dragon Age Origins is not installed there. I have it installed in my Steam folder which as you say Origin should not be looking in for any reason. I've turned off auto updates for games but that feels really slap dash. Once upon a time I had DA Origins installed on Origin. It kept giving me grief so I uninstalled it. Consequently I installed my Steam version. That is all I have done. I booted up Origin today to find it validating a game it hasn't got in its folder, then downloading 9 GB's of data apparently and now it gives me the option to 'play' the game - even as you can see its not installed in the Origin folder. It broke my install through Steam which is decidedly uncool EA. It has quite evidently been doing what you say it should never.

Message 5 of 10 (2,433 Views)

[ Edited ]
EA DICE Team

@MichaelHaylett

Thanks for the screenshot. I want to clarify that when you say that it was validating a game, that you are sure that it was in fact Dragon Age, and not another (Dragon Age related) game?

I also see that you have an OriginGames 2 folder. Is there another Origin Games folder?

Message 6 of 10 (2,427 Views)

★★★★ Novice

@Straatford87

I can absolutely guarantee it was validating Dragon Age Origins. I was surprised to see it do so - that is why I investigated. I have no other folder for Origin. As you may imagine once upon a time I did have. It was on a different hard drive. As you can see in this screenshot showing Installed games - Dragon Age Origins is not there. I have to select hidden games to see it and it had the bar underneath it saying 'validating' or what have you and then the download manager or whatever Origin calls it showed Origin download 9GB and a pop up saying Dragon Age Origins is ready to play. I say again its not installed through Origin. It was not DA II or DA Inquisition.

Message 7 of 10 (2,420 Views)

EA DICE Team

@MichaelHaylett

I've checked up on this for you and I think I've tracked down the reason for the strange behavior:

Origin scans for games using the Windows Registry, not the Origin Games folder which means that it would've picked up the Steam installation of Dragon Age. Because you have Auto Updates enabled in Origin, it then started to update the game.

To avoid this in the future I would recommend to run your EA games via Origin. Since you mentioned that you ran into issues with Dragon Age via Origin, we are here to help with that as well if needed.

I also have some further information on the differences between the Steam and Origin version of Dragon Age:

• The Origin Dragon Age version is 1.05, while the Steam version is only 1.03 and it requires a manual patch for DLC. The Origin version already has the DLC fix patched into it.
  • While the Ultimate Edition on Steam is up-to-date, it is still missing DLC activation fixes that are in Origin.
  • Origin has the DRM SecuRom disabled which means that you will never run into issues with too many installations. This is still enabled on the Steam version.

I hope this clarified things for you. Do let me know if you have any further questions.

Message 8 of 10 (2,389 Views)

★★★★ Novice

I would run DA:O through Origins but it gave me all kinds of texture problems. I also had problems with upgrading it as an Access subscriber that had me opting in and out of Beta updates for the Origin client and I said enough I'll just install my steam version.

I just loaded up DA:O on Steam and it says within the DA:O Configuration Utility that my DAOrigins.exe is 1.05, DAOriginsLauncher.exe is 1.01 and DAOriginsConfig.exe is 1.03. Which of these is out of step with the Origin version? Or is it something not surfaced? I've not had any problems whatsoever with the Steam version and I'm not even actively playing it but I would appreciate Origin not messing around with my games where ever they are installed.

You assured me that Origin didn't go looking in places other than its own Folder but now you are saying different. Are you answering technical question without knowing the technical answers? Tut tut! I've turned off updates in Origin so hopefully I'll get no more shenanigans. I'm fed up really with problems using Origin. I know you would like me to play my EA games using Origin but if Steam is a more stable platform for me then I will use it.

Thanks for your help though - I'm not happy with the solution of course - but if that is how it is that is how it is.

Message 9 of 10 (2,372 Views)

EA DICE Team

@MichaelHaylett

I never encountered your situation before. So, yes--I made a mistake.. Devil 

To summarize: if Auto Updates are enabled and Origin finds DA:O in your Windows registry, then it will update these files, regardless if they are on Origin or Steam.

I am however not sure why the Origin version would give you texture problems. It is the exact same game except for the Origin version actually being fully updated opposed to the Steam version. I am currently not aware of other players posting about texture problems with their game.

Lastly, you can find all game patches and DLC on the Bioware website to make sure that you have the latest version for your Steam version:

Message 10 of 10 (2,573 Views)