Why does my origin never work?

by Manic_Hearts

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Why does my origin never work?

[ Edited ]
★★ Novice

I am so mad. Writing this does not express my anger enough.

My Origin Application NEVER works. I have uninstalled, reinstalled, cleaned my PC with CCleaner after uninstalling, only to have the same issues after reinstalling. I cannot even play the games I have spent over 100 dollars on. I have talked to online support, that stupid bot that EA finds so magical, all telling me to try again. I have done this over 20 times, I am not overestimating if anything I am underestimating. I keep getting that infinite loading screen where it shows the bars that never load. I know it is not my PC, I have had it checked, not to mention it worked fine in April running that application. After one update it decided that it wouldn`t work. I am so done with EA, at this point they either need to just put actual effort into the Origins application, or refund a bunch of people. I am sick of hearing the same stupid things from EA, fix it. Do not just blame it on your customers. Vaulve's application, Steam, works great. You barely hear about it having issues. EA should take note of that and learn from Steam on how to fix their horrible bugs and errors. Or at least allow us to freaking launch the game, WITHOUT having to open the stupid Origin`s application EVERY TIME.

Seriously, I am at my wit's end. Just fix your stupid application EA, or give us our money back.

Message 1 of 17 (3,551 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: Why does my origin never work?

Community Manager

@Manic_Hearts Can you try clearing your Origin Cache. 

You can clear the Origin Cache by following the steps below:

1. Completely log out and close down Origin
  2. Hold down the Windows key and R
  3. Type in "%ProgramData%" (without quotes) and click OK
  4. Now open the Origin folder.
  5. Delete all the files and folders in the Origin folder, except for LocalContent (do not delete this one)
  6. Hold down the Windows key and R
  7. Type in "%AppData%" (without quotes) and click OK
  8. This will take you to a Roaming folder, which is located inside of AppData. Delete the Origin folder
  9. Click on the word "AppData" at the top of your window
  10. Open the Local folder here
  11. Delete the Origin folder listed here
  12. Restart your PC and log back into Origin
Darko.png

View in thread

Message 7 of 17 (3,431 Views)

All Replies

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Guide

i dont work for EA. ( a user just like you ) years (decads ) of experience + education in IT

why does a program crash ( origin installer or Origin.exe or a game.exe )
use windows event viewer. ( google youtube video in how to do if needed )
it might give a crash log so i or other inhere could have a idea why it crash.

and please upload DXdiag anyway, maybe another EA Forum board advisor have better advice with it.

ps.
then you are here, start from begining again, i dont trust what others do, never have never will experience told me that. something can effect our system and screw things up. ) even see my own edit values change by system, so enough about me, i can see you do have experience in IT you do have use CCleaner ( is that junk and windows registration rep. 2 task with that app, not all users know this and only run junk cleaner )

loading bar hmmm ( sorry our pc's are so fast dont think i see this but i guess on its the Client that never show its content ? transparent games or blank game logo's ? ) and thats why you try to reinstall it. ? or have been advice to do it.

( from best guess it sounds like antivirus/firewall issue ) its been blocked.

( dont forget link protections apps so many of them safe surf, mcafee webadvisor, impossibe to keep track of even CCleaner adds security now. )

Message 2 of 17 (3,492 Views)

Community Manager

@Manic_Hearts Sorry to hear that you are having issues with Origin but 99.9% of the time when you experience an issue with a program like Origin it is due to a system issue. 

When you launch Origin, what exactly happens? Can you talk me through what you see so that I can have a better understanding of the issue as from your post I'm not quite sure if the issue is with Origin or the launching of a game.

Also, can you please provide me with a DxDiag so that I can take a look at your system: https://help.ea.com/en-us/help/pc/how-to-gather-dxdiag-information/

Darko.png
Message 3 of 17 (3,483 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Novice

@EA_Darko@It's the Origin application it self. Since it will not launch properly, I cannot play my games. It lets me sign it and it always feels the need to update, but the screen has the white/gray bars like it's trying to load it. I am so irritated with EA at this point. It won't even work on offline mode

Message 4 of 17 (3,462 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Novice

@EA_Darko@Also, like I said before. I have taken it in and he said that it can run all of the applications and games I have on it. So it has nothing to do with the type of Laptop I have. I know this because it can run Fallout 4, a way bigger application and data file than Origin

Message 5 of 17 (3,459 Views)

★★ Novice
@Mantakno
I never actually thought about it possibly being a firewall issue. I may have to look into that....
Message 6 of 17 (3,456 Views)

Community Manager

@Manic_Hearts Can you try clearing your Origin Cache. 

You can clear the Origin Cache by following the steps below:

1. Completely log out and close down Origin
  2. Hold down the Windows key and R
  3. Type in "%ProgramData%" (without quotes) and click OK
  4. Now open the Origin folder.
  5. Delete all the files and folders in the Origin folder, except for LocalContent (do not delete this one)
  6. Hold down the Windows key and R
  7. Type in "%AppData%" (without quotes) and click OK
  8. This will take you to a Roaming folder, which is located inside of AppData. Delete the Origin folder
  9. Click on the word "AppData" at the top of your window
  10. Open the Local folder here
  11. Delete the Origin folder listed here
  12. Restart your PC and log back into Origin
Darko.png
Message 7 of 17 (3,432 Views)

★★★ Apprentice

Was your issue solved? I am experiencing the same problem.

Message 8 of 17 (3,416 Views)

Community Manager

@Faux_Grey Have you tried any of the suggested steps to see if they help?

Darko.png
Message 9 of 17 (3,400 Views)

★★ Novice

I am here to say that Origin is actually just a piece of garbage.

My Origin has broken countless times and I have uninstalled and reinstalled Origin numerous times.

Before anyone says it's something on my computer, I have rebuilt my computer with a fresh OS 3 times now, and each time Origin breaks after maybe a week or so.

Origin is a horribly broken platform and EA does not care nor ever will. 

Hundreds and hundreds of dollars right into their pocket and they do not seem to care.

They throw the same fix every time which 9/10 doesn't work and in the 1/10 chance it does, the app just breaks itself within a month or so.

I think they throw the same fix every time because they do not know how to fix it and do not care.

I have been playing Sims since Sims 2 first came out and had to use the discs, so I was thrilled when Origin really became a thing. 

But as of 2017 it has been a broken mess with no end in sight.

Sorry pal, but you'll just have to reinstall it pretty much every time something goes wrong and might not ever have a solution. 

I'd be fine if The Sims 3, (my only favorite EA title and only reason I use origin) worked without using Origin, but after a while the Sims 3 launcher just breaks too and says I have no DLC when there clearly is DLC installed and the only way to fix it is to repair it using origin.

Message 10 of 17 (3,377 Views)