Why do you limit passwords to 16 characters?

by curiousdannii

Original Post

Re: Why do you limit passwords to 16 characters?

[ Edited ]
★★★ Newbie

@EA_Lannahey since we can only rage ans swear to you community managers and that is not really helpful could you please rage and swear to the great abyss that you "pass up" our feedback?

I have to change the password in origin to something i can share with my family since still after years of requests we still cannot family share games installed in our gaming PC. But now it turns out i cannot actually even make a safe password for the account. And honestly the fact that the password length is limited at all makes me wonder about the account security because if the system is implemented securely there should be absolutely no reason to limit the length. The system shouldn't even need to know how long the password is. That actually worries me.

Message 11 of 18 (991 Views)

★★★★★ Newbie

What an unacceptable and * answer lmao

Message 12 of 18 (943 Views)

★★★ Newbie

It's 2020 now and they still limit it. my password is horribly weak lol 

Message 13 of 18 (865 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Sure, it is probably a fairly complicated process to change a very base component of their authentication system. However, this is a huge company and this is 2020. It would be understandable for a startup in 2015, but this is insane. What other flaws are there in their authentication? For all we know they might not even salt and excuse everything on their cool homebrewed hashing engine, like Adobe did not many years ago.

Until EA figures out the clock hanging on their wall is broken, I think everyone here should change their EA password to something complicated they do not use any other place at all.

Message 14 of 18 (835 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Just wanted to update everyone on this. You can now go up to 64 characters! I also advise you enable 2FA, for extra security. Happy gaming everyone! 

-SENTINELITE

Message 15 of 18 (717 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

Changed password on ea.com with some '.' and '-' .. works fine on the web site (length 20)

but what the hell is this, the GAME (Simpsons Springfield) does'nt accept this password (invalid char !!!!)

Then removed any special char, still length=20 ... the GAME still fails (error occured while logging in ...)

so stupid !

Message 16 of 18 (596 Views)

★ Apprentice

Even Spore has this password character limit issue as well, it stops people from being able to use the online functions which is entirely wrong since EA has all of the resources that are available to them to update the log ins of games before 2014 without issue at all, and just not doing that shows how bad that EA is towards their own customers when said customers get sick of some things that do not make games enjoyable or render certain features from being used.

Message 17 of 18 (336 Views)

★ Apprentice

You are also aware that when you said that, that you were very much needed to do that? I kind of honestly think that EA must've taken your words and put them into the trash compactor or something, so EA needs to stop being greedy and so focused on nothing but "Only profits are allowed in our company" type of thing. People would honestly think that EA would've already learned that customers come first well before 2017 and yet they still keep aiming at micro-transactions that cause mass distaste.

Message 18 of 18 (335 Views)