Re: Why do i pay for sales tax when i live in oregon?

by ivrognard

Original Post

Why do i pay for sales tax when i live in oregon?

★★★★★ Newbie

Oregon has no sales tax. We have an income tax. So why can't EA recognize this? The regional account information doesn't get any more specific than "united states" So what am I doing wrong?

Message 1 of 7 (2,061 Views)

★ Novice

I just had this issue. It might depend on what format of payment you use. I didn't try the EA Wallet option, but using Paypal incurred a fee, labeled as a tax (maybe this was just a Paypal fee, and not necessarily a sales tax?). Choosing the credit card option resulted in me not having to pay any fees/tax.

I recently used Paypal without any fees or taxes, though. The added tax might be something new.

I also live in Oregon. Standard smile

Message 2 of 7 (1,995 Views)

PayPal always gets a fee from transactions, unless they have a deal with the store. Buying from those online stores means that you won't have that transaction fee. The transaction fee is a fixed perecentage and has nothing to do with VAT or similar taxes. It's just the PayPal's percentage for handling and securing your transaction.

I do not work for EA and i am not associated with the company in any way. I am a player just like you, trying to help wherever i can.I will not answer to any unsolicited PM.

Message 3 of 7 (1,985 Views)

★★ Guide

FYI, PayPal charges the SELLER the fee, not the buyer. 

Message 4 of 7 (1,978 Views)

★ Novice

it dont matter what format i do over past  5 yrs ive spent over 45 in taxes not anymore i wont buy any others

Message 5 of 7 (1,831 Views)

★★★ Newbie

I know this post is older, but I was going to buy Apex Coins. The tax on $9.99 for a credit card was $0.62 and then I switched to PayPal. They were charging $0.80 for the exact same purchase. I think they are passing the Paypal fees onto us. I live in Montana and we don't have a sales tax either. I'm refusing to purchase. 

Message 6 of 7 (1,470 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Same here. I went to use Paypal to setup the monthly membership. They want to charge me tax on a membership while I live in Oregon. They lose as I won't pay a "tax" to them.

Message 7 of 7 (1,232 Views)