Why can't my purchased Xbox game play on PC?

by random_is_stupid

Original Post

Why can't my purchased Xbox game play on PC?

[ Edited ]
★ Novice

EA_Blueberry: Edited title for improved search results and to match inquiry

Message 1 of 5 (452 Views)

Re: Origin *

@random_is_stupid  The versions for different platforms are considered entirely different games.  The content isn't always the same, the multiplayer servers don't mix, and there's usually no way to transfer progress from one platform to another.  So they really do function as separate games in a lot of ways.  It wouldn't make sense to get a second game for free because you bought the first one.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 2 of 5 (438 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Novice

Message 3 of 5 (356 Views)

@random_is_stupid  Your question was clear the first time.  I said that console and PC versions of a game are considered different games, for a variety of reasons, not all of which apply in all cases.  But the fact that the two versions are considered different, and that it is therefore necessary to buy each one separately, is a global stance, independent of the specifics of each game.

Besides, it doesn't really matter what you or I think, since EA has made its policy quite clear.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 4 of 5 (324 Views)

[ Edited ]
Hero

Publishers generally don't sell multi-platform game licenses, with a few exceptions. Valve did it with the PS3 copy of Portal 2.

I think it makes sense. Microsoft and Sony get a large share of the video game sales for their consoles. Publishers don't want game entitlements to be cross-platform because then they're losing a large part of the cut. That would mean someone could buy a PS4 copy with the intention to play it only on PC, but Sony would still get a cut. If you extend that and say that a PS4 copy should also entitle you to an Xbox One license, then they'd have to give a cut to both Sony and Microsoft and have barely anything left for themselves. The only way that could work for the publishers is if they significantly increase the prices of their console games, which would not be received well, especially not by players sticking to one platform.

@random_is_stupid wrote:

I am wondering why I have to buy the game again if you should already have the games since origin is linked to your ea account so your Xbox/PS4 ea games should carry over

In short: You didn't give EA their full cut for a PC version. They don't want to pay licensing costs to Sony and Microsoft when you're using EA's platform and bandwidth.

CCP Hero Banner - Red.png

Message 5 of 5 (302 Views)