Re: Who is on the cover art of the original command and conquer?

by DAW085

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Who is on the cover art of the original command and conquer?

★★★ Newbie

Does anyone know who(the person/model) is on the cover art of the original command and conquer from 1995?

C&C Cover.jpg

Message 1 of 12 (3,199 Views)

Accepted Solution

[ Edited ]
Hero

@Hostile_Freak

I answered on the duplicate you made in the C&C section...

https://answers.ea.com/t5/C-C-The-Ultimate-Collection/Who-is-on-the-cover-art-of-the-original-comman...

As far as I know, that art wasn't made by Westwood Studios itself but by Virgin Games, since they designed the box. So, honestly, not sure if we'll ever find out.

The Red Alert guy is even more of a mystery, since the RA cover with the head was only used in Europe, meaning that box was probably designed by Virgin UK.

It's easy to assume that these people are easy to track down because Westwood used a lot of random in-house people for FMV and voice roles, but in this case, since it's Virgin, both might've been stock photos, rather than some person anyone there actually knew.

@DAW085

It's not a character. Just a generic soldier. If it were a character it'd be credited in the game manual and game credits anyway.

Like a lot of people helping out around this place, I am a volunteer, not an EA employee. I'm just here to help. If my answer helped you, please give XP. And if an answer solved your problem, be sure to accept it as solution.
I will not help with game questions sent as private messages; those questions belong on the boards where everyone can see my answers.

View in thread

Message 3 of 12 (3,129 Views)

All Replies

★ Guide
Are you asking about the Model, or the Character?
Message 2 of 12 (3,167 Views)

[ Edited ]
Hero

@Hostile_Freak

I answered on the duplicate you made in the C&C section...

https://answers.ea.com/t5/C-C-The-Ultimate-Collection/Who-is-on-the-cover-art-of-the-original-comman...

As far as I know, that art wasn't made by Westwood Studios itself but by Virgin Games, since they designed the box. So, honestly, not sure if we'll ever find out.

The Red Alert guy is even more of a mystery, since the RA cover with the head was only used in Europe, meaning that box was probably designed by Virgin UK.

It's easy to assume that these people are easy to track down because Westwood used a lot of random in-house people for FMV and voice roles, but in this case, since it's Virgin, both might've been stock photos, rather than some person anyone there actually knew.

@DAW085

It's not a character. Just a generic soldier. If it were a character it'd be credited in the game manual and game credits anyway.

Like a lot of people helping out around this place, I am a volunteer, not an EA employee. I'm just here to help. If my answer helped you, please give XP. And if an answer solved your problem, be sure to accept it as solution.
I will not help with game questions sent as private messages; those questions belong on the boards where everyone can see my answers.
Message 3 of 12 (3,130 Views)

★ Guide
Yeah, I was thinking commando unit, but they used a snipe and a rocket launcher, not a CAR-15. I don't think any game units had the CAR-15, so it's even stranger. You knew way more than I did though.
Message 4 of 12 (3,068 Views)

[ Edited ]
Hero

@DAW085 

Actually, the basic "minigunner" in the game probably uses it; it has 3-round bursts and its weapon in the C&C95 game manual is listed as an M16.

Message 5 of 12 (2,992 Views)

★ Guide
I was going to dispute that, because I remembered that the minigunners used GAU-3 Eliminators, but apparently there was a mix, with some units indeed using the M16 rifle. So it is indeed, a minigunner. Great Job, Detective Nyerguds!
Message 6 of 12 (2,979 Views)

[ Edited ]
Hero

@DAW085 

Honestly, it's a mess. The image in the original DOS manual shows a mounted minigun in a helicopter, which is nonsense, and the text indeed mentions the "GAU-3 Eliminator" chaingun. And, in fact, the DOS manual makes no mention of the M16 at all.

This was rectified in the C&C95 manual (C&C95 was released in 1997; after Red Alert 1), but, confusingly, they kept the unit description text mentioning the GAU-3 chaingun.

In my opinion, whoever thought that it was a good idea to pretend the basic infantry in the game carried freaking miniguns had either watched the Predator movie a few times too many, or hadn't seen it at all and had no clue what kind of bodybuilder it takes to haul one around.

minigunner.png

Message 7 of 12 (2,972 Views)

★ Guide
For additional confusion, in cutscenes they used the 9mm Calico M950, which is an SMG. My guess it's like how people who don't know much about guns call most rifles "machine guns". The cover does make internal sense though, minigunner got right click sent out of the hot zone, and took his helmet off to watch the carnage. I know I've lost units that way :P
Message 8 of 12 (2,924 Views)

Hero

@DAW085 wrote:
minigunner got right click sent out of the hot zone

Right click deselects the unit in C&C1 Nerd

Message 9 of 12 (2,905 Views)

★ Guide
My RTS strategy back before they changed what RTS were was "Aim for the Christmas tree, exploit map resources, assimilate enemy build unit, defeat enemy with army of their own units". But you are absolutely correct. This is not the first time I've mixed up the mouse buttons. My kindergarten teacher was furious.

I still have the generals demo from some PC magazine somewhere, I'd leave the chemical factory alone and just farm the oil wells.

And that has nothing to do with mid nineties cover models. Rats!
Message 10 of 12 (2,903 Views)