What will I do when I get a new computer?

by JaneUScott

Original Post

Accepted Solution

What will I do when I get a new computer?

★ Novice

So, my computer is very old and basically ready to kick the bucket. I just got a new job and I'm likely going to be grabbing a new computer soon, because I need my computer for my job (and for gaming!)

My problem comes with the fact that most of the laptops I find nowadays don't have a disk drive, or if they do, they're like 10x more expensive than the ones that don't have a disk drive. I don't really need a disk drive in my every day life, but I realized that my copy of the base game of the Sims 4 is a hard copy.

Is there anyway to download the game via only origin if you originally downloaded via a hard copy? Does Origin remember that you owned the base game if you log in to another computer. I just really don't want to not be able to play the Sims on my potential new computer!

Anyone able to offer any insight on this? It's not super urgent, still have a little while to go before I can splurge on a new piece of technology, but it's been on my mind and has been bugging me a lot. Any insight is appreciated.

Message 1 of 2 (293 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: What will I do when I get a new computer?

@JaneUScott  When you originally installed Sims 4, you would have needed to install Origin and enter the code that came with your disc.  So Origin has a record of you owning the game, which means that you can download it again, for free, whenever you want.  If you'd like to check, just sign into Origin and click on My Game Library; you should see an icon for TS4.

By the way, if you do need a disc drive at some point, you can buy an external one for $20-30.  There's no need to spend all that extra money on an internal drive.

When you're ready to buy your new computer, feel free to drop by the Sims 4 tech section for a consult—you can link the models you're considering and ask how they'd run the game.  Or, if you prefer, post your budget and country, as well as anything else important about the computer (you want to run other apps, it needs to be a laptop, etc.), and we can help you pick one out.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.

View in thread

Message 2 of 2 (276 Views)

All Replies

Re: What will I do when I get a new computer?

@JaneUScott  When you originally installed Sims 4, you would have needed to install Origin and enter the code that came with your disc.  So Origin has a record of you owning the game, which means that you can download it again, for free, whenever you want.  If you'd like to check, just sign into Origin and click on My Game Library; you should see an icon for TS4.

By the way, if you do need a disc drive at some point, you can buy an external one for $20-30.  There's no need to spend all that extra money on an internal drive.

When you're ready to buy your new computer, feel free to drop by the Sims 4 tech section for a consult—you can link the models you're considering and ask how they'd run the game.  Or, if you prefer, post your budget and country, as well as anything else important about the computer (you want to run other apps, it needs to be a laptop, etc.), and we can help you pick one out.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 2 of 2 (277 Views)