Re: What is Origin doing in the system tray?

by EA_Darko

Original Post

Accepted Solution

What is Origin doing in the system tray?

★ Novice

Why does Origin have to be in the system tray?  It slows down startup.  It slows down shutdown.  If I'm not gaming, I don't want it running in the background consuming resources.  If I'm not gaming, I don't want it AT ALL!  If I want to play a game, I have no problem running Origin in order to do so, but the majority of my computer time has nothing to do with gaming.  I apparently have one option: I can uninstall Origin and throw away 7 games, most of which I haven't even tried yet.  Do I have any other options?

Message 1 of 8 (3,913 Views)

Accepted Solution

Hero

It's how it's done today. Steam, UPlay etc. does the same thing.

That being said, all you need to do is look in Origin's settings - there you will be able to make Origin not start up when you start the computer and you can also make it quit Origin when you quit a game.

carbonic signature

View in thread

Message 2 of 8 (4,270 Views)

All Replies

Hero

It's how it's done today. Steam, UPlay etc. does the same thing.

That being said, all you need to do is look in Origin's settings - there you will be able to make Origin not start up when you start the computer and you can also make it quit Origin when you quit a game.

carbonic signature

Message 2 of 8 (4,271 Views)

★ Novice

Thankis, Carbonic!  A nice, cogent, useful response.  The only problem left is that when I run Origin, it becomes a trojan again.  When I close the Origin window, it continues to execute in the background.  To get rid of it, I have to right-click the icon and hit "exit."  What should happen is that if I do not autoload Origin at startup, then it should shut itself down when I close its window.

I'm not just nit-picking here.  A few mysteries have appeared on this computer since I installed Origin, and though the fault might lie with a new windows update or a harware problem, I have reason to suspect Origin.  One particular mystery is that every once in a while, my screen goes black for a minute or two, then returns to normal.  There are a few other things as well, and they are rapidly becoming annoying.

Message 3 of 8 (3,896 Views)

Hero

Actually, since Origin handles things in the background like receiving chat requests most people perfer to only have the cross make it running in the tray and make you have to press exit if you want to close the program completely. It's common practice, antivirus, updaters etc. work in the same way so nothing "Trojan" about that.

carbonic signature

Message 4 of 8 (3,885 Views)

★ Novice

Actually, it doesn't close... you can't close it without the Task Manager. If you right click and exit you will notice after lunching manager that it is still running. You can close it via task manager. Now the fun part. What if it's still running even after that? Lunch Task Manager of the Task Manager and continue forever.

Message 5 of 8 (2,841 Views)

★ Novice

I must disagree. It is not "how it's done today" notice aforementioned Steam. You can set it to close with a right click and exit (The Task Manager sees it as closed). I do believe it is just up to the treble EA policy.

Message 6 of 8 (2,835 Views)

★★ Novice
@BruceGerdes on point I play bf4. Love it! I also own bf3, bf V, and battlefield one haven't played any of those last three. Id like to play them but im with you, origin has pushed me off my comment just now three times running in the background, I spend more time shutting the dam thing off more than i get to play. Cant even listen to music w/o interuptions. They better fix this annoying problem . I know several people w same problem and they say they will pack up and leave too! two more times origin just interupted me just now.....gggggrrrrrrrrrrr
Message 7 of 8 (1,507 Views)

Community Manager

Hey @chatapukup I'm closing this thread as it is half a decade old at this stage.

Please feel free to make a new thread to discuss any issue or concerns. 

Darko

Darko.png
Message 8 of 8 (1,475 Views)