Updatetool.exe not found

by AmaraStorm

Original Post

Updatetool.exe not found

★★★ Novice

This only happens offline, but when I try to open Origin or Sims 4 I get a windows message saying updatetool.exe not found then nothing opens.  I run it as administrator, I've uninstalled and installed it again, and nada.  I'm currently moving and don't have access to the net at night at the place I'm staying.  As mentioned, online, it works great.  This just happens when I'm offline.

Any suggestions?

Thank for any help.

Message 1 of 8 (1,951 Views)

Re: Updatetool.exe not found

[ Edited ]
★★★ Novice

Also made sure Origin and Sims 4 are not blocked by my firewall, so I know it's not that.

**Edit** - I'm running windows 8.1.  As long I log in to Origin here at work on the net and then turn the net off, it'll work.  The problem is when I reboot at home, that has no net, it won't open.  I get the updatetool.exe error.  A temporary fix is just putting the computer to sleep instead of rebooting, but it's about to be the weekend and I won't have any net access till Mon. 

Message 2 of 8 (1,928 Views)

★★★ Novice

I'm wonder if you found a solution to this. I'm having the same issue.

Message 3 of 8 (1,738 Views)

Community Manager
Unfortunately you will have to be online once in order to set your Origin Client into the Offline mode: https://www.origin.com/en-us/how-to/offline-mode

Once the computer is in offline mode, as long as it stays running you should not be prompted to log in / run into any issues with the updatetool error.

Rebooting / turning the computer off will unfortunately break the offline mode at this time.

Cheers,
Nils
Message 4 of 8 (1,725 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Novice

I Had my Origin Client Online, then it Updated and Now I have the UpdateTool.exe Not Found error and I can't even Run it at all. I can Run it fine on my Win XP (sp3) machine fine, But not the win 8.1 Machine.

Well I do have a fix for this. and Origin/EA wont like it so this maybe deleted but here:

Open You're Main Origin Folder

Create a "New File" (Txt or doc or which ever you can remember.)

Right Click and Choose "Rename File"

Type in the New Line: Updatetool.exe  (You Will Get a Warning about changing Command Line.) and Then Hit Yes or Confirm

And then on the safe side Reboot (Or not really needed but a good practice, You will need those A LOT for Origin and EA)

Then Start Origin (Yes while Online.)

And then it will start to Update

and Here is a Tip for ALL Origin and EA Programmers and Staff Beta Test ALL of your Programs So you can see how annoying A Ton Of hula hoops Your Custamers have to Jump through in order to Play and Keep playing the Games we Buy and Give You All Money so you can Pay your Bills and buy Food.

Message 6 of 8 (1,649 Views)

Origin & Sims 4

★★★ Newbie

I just got the Sims 4 and have not been able to install it since I am getting this errpor from Origin saying updatedtool.exe not found! I cant install, I cant play!!! I have an Origin account already and already tried unistalling a reinstalling Origin.

What shoul I do???

Message 5 of 8 (1,663 Views)

★★★ Newbie
I have something of the same problem except it does this when I'm online as well as offline.
Message 7 of 8 (1,396 Views)

★ Novice

found the right way to fix the problem for people still having issues and literally tried everything!

install and update origin on another device (laptop), Copy the whole folder onto an USB, and transfer the fully updated and installed files onto your pc and open origin.exe wich should start automatically then Standard smile

Took me 3 weeks to find this solution!

Message 8 of 8 (671 Views)