Unable to register CD Key

by PyroFalkon

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Unable to register CD Key

[ Edited ]
★★ Novice

I bought SimCity Societies a long time ago and found the disc recently while going through my collection. I decided to give it a play, and I noticed that Origin has it available for download. I tried entering the CD key, assuming I wouldn't have to buy it again to get it on Origin, but I got an "Invalid Key" error message. I triple-checked the code, even waited a day to re-enter it, but I always get "invalid key."

I know the error message is different if the game had already been redeemed; I had wondered if I had already redeemed it and hid the game or something, but no: my account doesn't have a record of ever purchasing it (which makes sense, since I never did through Origin, and I don't think I ever registered my games back then). The code just straight up doesn't work for some reason.

I wouldn't care TOO much except that I really want to play it without bothering with the CD, and having my whole collection through Origin is convenient, so I really want to try to get it registered there. (Doesn't help that I can't use my CD drive either, but that's an issue where I know where the problem is!) I created a support ticket yesterday but as of today, it's still being "prepared." Maybe EA doesn't do as much customer service on Sundays? Totally makes sense if so.

I'm not even the slightest bit annoyed or angry; just eager to take care of this and start playing! If you can help me, please let me know. Thank you for your time!

~Jon

Message 1 of 5 (472 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: Unable to register CD Key

EA DICE Team

@ivrognard

Thanks for tagging me :-)

@PyroFalkon

Hi,

I completely understand your dilemma, and I would love to help you out. 

Like you mentioned, customer service is limited on Sunday. But you should be able to get through to us today. When doing so, just have your game code ready and give it to an Advisor, they will look up if it's valid, after which they can replace your original code with a digital download code.

I just double-checked for you and we do have the ability to grant a digital code for this title. Even so, some of our older games have limitations or might not work properly anymore - an Advisor will therefore walk you through the exact possibilities.

Best of luck!

View in thread

Message 3 of 5 (501 Views)

All Replies

[ Edited ]

@Straatford87 any chance for helping him?

@PyroFalkon make some photos of the Box and CD, plus one picture of the code. If you still have your receipt, get a picture to that one, too. DO NOT POST THEM HERE!!

Contact support

http://answers.ea.com/t5/Technical-Issues/How-to-contact-an-Advisor-via-EA-Help/td-p/5650100

Explain them your problem as calm and polite as you can. Give them the pictures that prove that you own the game and show clearly the serial number. As the game is still sold through Origin, i see no reason for support not help you if you give them all the proof you can that show that you own the disc edition. 

I do not work for EA and i am not associated with the company in any way. I am a player just like you, trying to help wherever i can.I will not answer to any unsolicited PM.

Message 2 of 5 (464 Views)

EA DICE Team

@ivrognard

Thanks for tagging me :-)

@PyroFalkon

Hi,

I completely understand your dilemma, and I would love to help you out. 

Like you mentioned, customer service is limited on Sunday. But you should be able to get through to us today. When doing so, just have your game code ready and give it to an Advisor, they will look up if it's valid, after which they can replace your original code with a digital download code.

I just double-checked for you and we do have the ability to grant a digital code for this title. Even so, some of our older games have limitations or might not work properly anymore - an Advisor will therefore walk you through the exact possibilities.

Best of luck!

Message 3 of 5 (502 Views)

★★ Novice

Hi all, thanks for the replies!

After making this post, late last night I decided to give contacting an EA Advisor another shot, but it wasn't working... until I switched browsers. For whatever reason, Chrome refused to allow me to connect to anyone for chatting. When I switched to Edge however, it connected me to an Advisor within a single minute! They took care of me and did exactly what you said: after giving them my CD key, they applied the game to my Origin account! Really good customer service! (I just need to remember to switch browsers if that happens again.)

I will say that SimCity Societies specifically did force me to jump through additional hoops to play it even once I got it installed, but I looked up that it seems to be a problem with incompatibility with Windows 10. But I got it working (after a bunch of research and trial-and-error), and I'm pleased with the speed of the Origin issue. Thanks to everyone involved!

~Jon

Message 4 of 5 (431 Views)

EA DICE Team

@PyroFalkon @ivrognard

Hi Jon,

I'm really glad to hear that, and I hope that you will enjoy getting back to Simcity again!

If you ever feel like it, feel free to stop by on the Origin Community forums for a chat.. :-)

Cheers,

Message 5 of 5 (421 Views)