Re: Unable to install the Origin client

by DarkAmaranth1966

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Unable to install the Origin client

★★★ Novice

This week my Origin client which had been working fine started throwing up an error saying it could not start on boot up. The options were to restart (which just returned the same error) or quit. Thinking the install was corrupted I uninstalled it via Control Panel and downloaded the Thin Setup file.

Upon trying to run it I get a momentary pop-up in the taskbar then nothing. The client will not run and no error is displayed.  

This is in Windows 10

Has anyone else got this issue?

Message 1 of 17 (7,279 Views)

Accepted Solution

★★★ Novice

OK, the clean boot worked. I have no idea why it broke or what was preventing it from re-installing but with everything re-enabled Origin is installed and running once more. Thanks for the fix!

View in thread

Message 16 of 17 (7,374 Views)

All Replies

[ Edited ]
★★★ Expert

Your DXDIAG looks good, everything is up to date. I do see something in the error reports that might be affecting your ability to install Origin but, Windows does not report the date of the errors so, they may be older errors.

Fault bucket type 5 - that's a failed .cab (cabinet) file request by the server. It may be due to a temporary server glitch or too busy a server but, it can also be because your computer did not send the requested .cab. That can happen on slow connection that are slowed due to throttling, if you have metered service and have used your data allowance for the month, for example, or if your node or gateway of your ISP is very busy at the time. This is especially true of cellular data and satellite internet service providers.

The 1268 portion of the error is more concerning: That means that a redirect needed user (your) permission to continue but, you didn't see any message asking for it. That means it's a security software, VPN, Proxy, port or, user privileges problem. Those can be hard to track down.

Let's try a reinstall Manually unistall Origin so that we can work with a fresh install.

First, disable your firewall and antivirus then, insure you are not using a VPN or Proxy*** and see if you can get the Origin setup file downloaded. Get it here: Download Origin Here.

Once you get the file, find OriginThinSteup.exe in your download folder, run that file as Administrator.

Let me know it that gets Origin up and running for you or, if you have problems or get any error messages. If you do get an error message, try to take a screen shot or copy down the EXACT error message and post it for us to look at.

Go to Control Panel (Search the start menu for it if you need to.) Network and Internet > Internet Options > Connections tab > LAN Settings button Uncheck Use Proxy server for your LAN near the bottom, click Okay, click Okay again to get the Options windows closed.

Message 2 of 17 (7,260 Views)

★★★ Novice

Thanks for the analysis

My connection is not throttled in any way so I do not think that is an issue.

As Origin was uninstalled some of the manual uninstall was unnecessary but I did the rest to be sure.

Disabled my AV software and firewall

Re-downloaded the latest client

Ran as Admin.

Same result, only thing that changed was the momentary pop-up in the taskbar was there slightly longer - just long enough to see the Origin log before it disappeared. Again, no errors, just a failure to run.

Message 3 of 17 (7,237 Views)

★★★ Expert

Okay let's see what Origin Error Reporter. Has to say.

Run the error reporter and post the report ID in this thread as well as sending it in per the instructions.

Message 4 of 17 (7,223 Views)

★★★ Novice

Thanks for the reply, however:-

Unable to run it, the Origin folder in Program Files (X86) is non-existant as Origin is uninstalled...

Is there any way to downalod it separately?

As Origin is completely removed would there be any point?

Message 5 of 17 (7,211 Views)

★★★★ Apprentice

yep try this(latest version zipped folder from origin)  : https://download.dm.origin.com/origin/live/OriginUpdate_10_0_2_33129.zip

copy paste in C:\Program Files(x86)\Origin

then try to run origin again(as admin)

Message 6 of 17 (7,208 Views)

★★★ Expert

Since the Released client is giving you problems and, the Beta is proving to be less so for many, I'd recommend you Get Origin Beta from that direct download link and give it a try. Even if it doesn't work, the error reporter will.

Message 7 of 17 (7,200 Views)

★★★ Novice

Thanks for the help.

Ok, the Beta client failed to install in the same way as the regular one

Using the files I was able to copy the Origin install files and recreate the directory. Upon running Origin.exe under admin it crashed, which was the original issue. Attached is the error and a copy of the client log.

I ran the Origin error reporter and submitted the error. It did not give me the option to save it anywhere so I sm not sure how to add any output on here?

Message 8 of 17 (7,191 Views)

★★★ Expert

Thank you, now I can tag @Straatford87 on this one, he's better at sorting those reports than I am. I'll pass this on to him and let him have a look at that report.

Message 9 of 17 (7,171 Views)

★★★ Novice

Origin is still dead, no way to run it at all, just crashes on start...

Message 10 of 17 (7,129 Views)