[Tutorial] Using Macros

by theandronerd

Original Post

[Tutorial] Using Macros

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Apprentice

This is a tutorial on how to use Macros in the community, as many people won't have experienced them before.

What are Macros?

Macros are basically predefined pieces of text that you can quickly and easily enter into a new post via a drop down selection box.

How to create a Macro

You can create macros easily by going to this page. That is the macros part of your settings area.

When you get to that page, you'll see numerous boxes. In the 'Macro Title' box, enter the name of the Macro. Choose something that links to the macro, as it is all you'll have when using the macro!

Once you have named your macro, enter the text of the macro in the 'Macro #' box. This box can accept HTML - so if you want to add links or formatting via macros, that is how you'll do it (HTML). If you are unsure how to use HTML, some of the common examples are in the spoiler below Standard smile

Spoiler
Link: <a href="<link URL (with http://)>"><Link Text></a> - Underline text: <u><text to underline></u> - Italicize text: <I><text to italicize></I> - Bold Text: <b><text to bold></b> - Strike Text: <s><text to strike></s>

How to use a Macro

You can easily use a macro via the rich editor screen. If you have macros defined, a drop down box will appear next to the Quote button (or the Spell Check button if a quote isn't available).

Click the drop down, and then select the macro that you want inserting. The macro body will be inserted at the cursor.

If you need any more assistance, feel free to reply to this topic!

If my post helped or humored you, click the 'XP' button. If it solved your issue (or told you how to solve the issue), click the 'Accept as Solution' button Standard smile

Message 1 of 7 (1,915 Views)

Re: [Tutorial] Using Macros

Community Manager (retired)
Note that you do not seem to have used the spellchecker yourself... you misspelled pieces and humoured. :P

Nice tutorial, otherwise. It might be worth pointing some of the other active users to it, as many will most likely miss it.
If this message helped you, please give it a bit of XP! Click the XP button at the bottom right of this post.
If it answered your question, click "Accept as solution". Thanks!
Message 2 of 7 (1,910 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice

@eafrancois wrote:
Note that you do not seem to have used the spellchecker yourself... you misspelled pieces and humoured. :P

Nice tutorial, otherwise. It might be worth pointing some of the other active users to it, as many will most likely miss it.

I don't like the lithium spell check, it's set to US English for one thing :P

Message 3 of 7 (1,908 Views)

Hero

Thank you . Didn't know about the HTML part. Need to try that out Standard smile

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.
Please only contact me via PM when asked to do so.

Important Threads

Message 4 of 7 (1,902 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Apprentice

@crinrict wrote:

Thank you . Didn't know about the HTML part. Need to try that out Standard smile

It can also be used to insert HTML when you don't have that permission (shhhhhh, I didn't say that!).

You may also want to check out my idea Wink

If my post helped or houmoured you, click the 'XP' button. If it solved your issue (or told you how to solve the issue), click the 'Accept as Solution' button Standard smile

Message 5 of 7 (1,899 Views)

[ Edited ]
Hero

I posted the same idea before and I gave it the appropriate amount of stars Standard smile

EDIT: Do you know if there any keyboard shortcuts for the macros ? I sometimes press something by accident and then it fills out one of the Macros. If you know what that is, would be great.

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.
Please only contact me via PM when asked to do so.

Important Threads

Message 6 of 7 (1,893 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice

@crinrict wrote:

I posted the same idea before and I gave it the appropriate amount of stars Standard smile

EDIT: Do you know if there any keyboard shortcuts for the macros ? I sometimes press something by accident and then it fills out one of the Macros. If you know what that is, would be great.

I haven't noticed one before...

It could just be your accidentally pressing the Macro name when doing it Standard smile

Liam

If my post helped or humored you, click the 'XP' button. If it solved your issue (or told you how to solve the issue), click the 'Accept as Solution' button Standard smile

Message 7 of 7 (1,877 Views)