Transferring origin games to new pc

by ebolamonkey92

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Transferring origin games to new pc

★★★ Newbie
I just got a new pc and I would like to transfer my origin games without having to download them, is this possible? I still have access to the old working machine that still has the games on it
Message 1 of 16 (57,139 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: Transferring origin games to new pc

[ Edited ]
★★★ Expert

Yes, that is possible.

On the old Computer:

Make a note of the full install path for each game.

Note the install and download paths in Origin Application Settings.

Make a copy of each game's folder - ALL Of it. You will need a portable media disk or device that has room for ALL of each game, one at a time on it to move them. A small external hard drive is a good option. (This avoids separating the game folder into smaller bits and, means a cleaner move for the files.)

On the New Computer:

Place the games you copied from the old computer in the EXACT same locations on the new computer, creating and naming new folders as needed. They MUST MATCH THE OLD COMPUTER EXACTLY.

Make sure the Save and Install settings in Origin are IDENTICAL on the New Computer to those on the old computer.

Copy the Documents portion of all EA, Electronic Arts, Origin folders to the documents folder of the new computer.

Choose one game at a time in Origin and begin the download. PAUSE it after 2-3 MB have downloaded.

Right click on the game in Origin and choose Repair.

Let Origin verify the files and, make any repairs that may be needed to the game.

Move on to the next game when that is done.

View in thread

Message 2 of 16 (60,938 Views)

All Replies

[ Edited ]
★★★ Expert

Yes, that is possible.

On the old Computer:

Make a note of the full install path for each game.

Note the install and download paths in Origin Application Settings.

Make a copy of each game's folder - ALL Of it. You will need a portable media disk or device that has room for ALL of each game, one at a time on it to move them. A small external hard drive is a good option. (This avoids separating the game folder into smaller bits and, means a cleaner move for the files.)

On the New Computer:

Place the games you copied from the old computer in the EXACT same locations on the new computer, creating and naming new folders as needed. They MUST MATCH THE OLD COMPUTER EXACTLY.

Make sure the Save and Install settings in Origin are IDENTICAL on the New Computer to those on the old computer.

Copy the Documents portion of all EA, Electronic Arts, Origin folders to the documents folder of the new computer.

Choose one game at a time in Origin and begin the download. PAUSE it after 2-3 MB have downloaded.

Right click on the game in Origin and choose Repair.

Let Origin verify the files and, make any repairs that may be needed to the game.

Move on to the next game when that is done.

Message 2 of 16 (60,939 Views)

★★★ Newbie
Awesome I'll give it a try
Message 3 of 16 (57,102 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Awesome? i hope that you where kidding cos this is not a solution this is a hot fix because this program sux..... every other game launcher has the option to give a new path and then scans the game itself for what is missing and fills only the blanks..... this is seriosly unaxeptable.... sry for my english i am not a native speaker

Message 4 of 16 (57,081 Views)

★★★ Newbie

1.) Copy the Game folder to C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games

2.) Open your origin then go to "My game library" 

3.) Right Click on the Game click "Locate Game"

4.) Locate the game you copied from the file path mentioned on 1 (it will verify The game files)
5.) Enjoy playing! Thank me later! haha

Message 5 of 16 (47,030 Views)

★ Novice

Cool, thanks man, that worked a treat.

Message 6 of 16 (45,953 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Doing this right now, if this works i will forever worship your skills. I do NOT want to lose all the progress i made simply because ea cant come up with a simple transfer system for files.

Message 7 of 16 (42,043 Views)

★★★ Newbie

So if I built a new PC, and then install Origin on the 'new' pc, and wiped out the old hard drive that held all my 'already bought and paid for' Origin games, I now have to buy them again? Because, that is kind of how I am reading this.

Message 8 of 16 (39,242 Views)

[ Edited ]

@Jaysinndd  No, your account owns the games, not your computer.  You could install all of your Origin games, for free, on your new computer, whether you wiped the old one's hard drive or not.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 9 of 16 (39,233 Views)

★ Novice

No, you do not have to buy them again, they'll still be in your library. This is just a way-around for downloading them again

Message 10 of 16 (37,021 Views)