Re: The Instruction at 0x referenced memory at 0x The memory could not be read.

by BeerGogglesFTW

Original Post

The Instruction at 0x referenced memory at 0x The memory could not be read.

★★★★★ Novice

Since the Origin update I now get this error when shutting down, and origin is left running.

This happens on 2 of 3 computers... On the 3rd Origin hangs on shutdown, but doesn't give this error.

I have 16GB and 8GB of RAM in the problematic computers.

Ran sfc /scannow and memtest86. No issues or errors found. Uninstalled and Reinstalled Origin on both. No change.

There's 2 things I was messing around with, and sometimes I will get a clean shutdown, and I think I'm good, and then it comes back.

1. Fastboot, trying with and without. More luck when not using fastboot.
  2. Page File, virtual memory... I have plenty of physical memory, but I've tried no page file, automatic, 2GB, 4GB... 4GB on each drive (SSD and HDD).

The above could have nothing to do with it and be completely coincidental.. Idk.

INB4: "Its your RAM. Buy new RAM." This is 2 different computers with RAM that passes memtest86 without error. The odds of it being a hardware issue on both, that is only affected by Origin is not really possible.

The odds of it being an issue with Origin software that I need to find a way to work around it much better.

Thank you

Message 1 of 16 (16,300 Views)

★★★ Expert

My gaming rig did that too but, it's fairly easy to fix. I'm not sure what it is with Origin 10 causing it to do this but, increasing your Virtual memory does solve the problem. How to do that depends on your version of Windows but, a quick search will get you the instructions to do that. Set the MINIMUM to what the stetting screen says is recommended or more (up to the same amount as the computer has RAM and use the amount of RAM the computer show in the DXDIAG as the maximum.

To see the DXDIAG just press the Windows Key and R at the same time and type DXDIAG then click OK. The RAM will be shown on the first page. Uet that number for maximum Virtual Memory on at least the drive Origin is installed on.

Message 2 of 16 (16,285 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

I'll try it out when I get home from work. I believe this could work.

Mine was initially set to about 2GB, so I upped it to 4GB and it worked at first, then started erroring again. Maybe I just didn't bump it up enough. I didn't bother trying because its definitely an issue EA should fix at this point. I shouldn't need to allocate 8GB or 16GB of space for virtual memory. I'm just wasting SSD space due to poor programming. 

Message 3 of 16 (16,280 Views)

★★★ Expert

There, I agree but, the team is still fine tuning Origin 10 so, for a bit we might need to use a workaround. I put my SSD at 3 min, 8 max and one of my IDE drives at 3 min and 32 max. Way more than I need on the max side but, I have the free space and, I do expect the Origin crew will get it tamed down shortly.

Message 4 of 16 (16,272 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Novice

Still getting the error. Page file set to 16,348 MB.. Recommended alone didn't work, so I set it as initial too. Same error.

In my last 6+ restarts, 1 of those attempts didn't get the error, while it was set to automatic page file settings... Tested that again... error.

I got home today and there was also an Origin update. I had high hopes. No good though.

edit - phrasing

Message 5 of 16 (16,250 Views)

★★★ Expert

I'll pass this on to the team, see if they know anything else to try.

Message 6 of 16 (16,248 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

Wanted to bump this.

I've reinstalled Windows 10 and its still an issue. No other issues with this computer.

Now that I'm playing Origin games more, I have to see this error more often.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Message 7 of 16 (16,154 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Novice

Has this been fixed or has anyone found a solution? I started having the same exact issue as of recently on 3 systems. All of them are passing MemTest. Was trying to troubleshoot what could possibly be going on with my hardware when I stumpled upon this thread.

Is it safe to assume it's an Origin issue rather than the hardware?

Message 8 of 16 (15,933 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Novice

I still get this error on my primary gaming PC.

For me, its definitely not hardware related. My computer is very stable other than this 1 issue just from Origin. And like you, I've never found an error running memtest x86. I was getting this on other PC/Laptops but it went away after reformetting and reinstalling Windows. I just kind of go with it now, as its not a big enough concern for me to format and reinstall Windows just for this.

Though its definitely a stab in the dark, I definitely believe its ultimately something in Origin's coding. Even on the computers I don't get this, Origin is the one program that hangs before my computer shuts down. This one PC for my just happens to error out.  Its likely a conflict of some sort with some other program or custom Windows settings like virtual memory. But I tried eveything a couple months ago and I still get the error. Just from Origin.

Message 9 of 16 (15,929 Views)

★★ Novice

Thanks for the feedback! Definitively not looking forward to formatting, reinstalling Windows and redownloading all of my games in 3 systems...

Also have that behavior where Windows waits for Origin to close before shutting down or restarting, but that never prevented it from doing so; it just delayed it. The error message, however, is problematic to me because it prevents one of the systems from completing scheduled shutdowns; the system stops when the message appears and won't proceed until you click Ok.

I'll contact technical support just so they're aware this is still an issue.

Message 10 of 16 (15,913 Views)