Re: TOMB RAIDER (2013) download issue

by TheAmazingPotato

Original Post

Accepted Solution

TOMB RAIDER (2013) download issue

★ Novice

Hi,

I recently picked up TOMB RAIDER (2013) in your sale and it downloaded 8GB of *something*, only to then tell me I need to (re?)install it through Steam, which will be another 10GB. That's mental. I'm not after a refund or anything like that, I would just like to know what on earth that 8GB download was for - I checked the Origin download cache and found a bunch of Steam-related files, but if I also need to now install it through Steam too, what do all these files do other than take up space on my harddrive and eat into my data allowance?

I know I'm not presenting a 'solvable' issue but it does seem a bit weird - why not just sell/supply the Steam key, like other online stores, instead of all these apparently superfluous and gigantic files? I'm pretty disgruntled that none of this was apparent during any point of the purchase process and it's really put me off using your service in future, or suggesting anyone else does.

With regards,

WG

Message 1 of 3 (466 Views)

Accepted Solution

Community Manager

@TheAmazingPotato Thanks for the post, this does sound odd. Would it be possible to provide screenshots of the message that directs you to Steam?

Checking my Steam install of the game it says that an install from scratch is 11GB, it sounds like you should be able to use the existing downloaded files for your Steam install of the game. However this is far from standard install behaviour. 

What are the file names for the content you have downloaded? Perhaps (after making a backup) you can move these to the game's steamapps folder and they can contribute to the full install of the game on Steam?

David.png
Stay and Play.png

View in thread

Message 2 of 3 (488 Views)

All Replies

Community Manager

@TheAmazingPotato Thanks for the post, this does sound odd. Would it be possible to provide screenshots of the message that directs you to Steam?

Checking my Steam install of the game it says that an install from scratch is 11GB, it sounds like you should be able to use the existing downloaded files for your Steam install of the game. However this is far from standard install behaviour. 

What are the file names for the content you have downloaded? Perhaps (after making a backup) you can move these to the game's steamapps folder and they can contribute to the full install of the game on Steam?

David.png
Stay and Play.png
Message 2 of 3 (489 Views)

★ Novice

Hi David - thanks for your reply! I'm afraid I can't put a picture up of the Steam install message I got as it hasn't appeared again, but I can show you what files were downloaded (image attached).  

If Origin (somewhat bizarrely) has downloaded a bunch of the set-up files already, that's actually pretty nifty. I'll do as you suggested and backup these files, then move them to Steam and see if that knocks down the TR Steam install Standard smile

Cheers! 

Message 3 of 3 (428 Views)