Suggestions/Requests for the New Origin Client

by dirtyharry500

Original Post

Suggestions/Requests for the New Origin Client

★★★ Novice

Please, first and foremost give me the option to remove the chat window menu/popup that is always displayed in the lower right corner of Origin now. This obscures the lower right corner of my library of games view and to be honest and frank I really hate it. I immediately tried to disable chat entirely but the app won't let me. I don't need or want chat personally but even if I did, I don't want an interface element that overlays the display of other elements I care about such as my own games or really any other view I might be looking at. I consider this very poor UI design and I have professional background in software engineering that includes UI design.

So please, fix this somehow. For openers, at least give users the option to disable it if they wish to.

Second, by default I have the client set to open to my games library view. Thank you for keeping this in. I do visit the store to see what's new or on sale along with "On the House" (it's been quite a while... hint, hint) but I don't want promotions or marketing of any kind in my face when I go to play the games I own from EA on Origin. I want these experiences kept strictly separate. I do exactly the same thing on Steam and GOG clients.

Keeping the previous paragraph in mind I would ask that you yank out the "My Home" page which is a thinly veiled marketing ploy that I would hope is not fooling anyone. The top invites me to continue where I left off with a game I was not playing recently. So it doesn't even know which one I was playing apparently because I certainly do. In any event, I do not need this at all for anything and I do not appreciate the UI being cluttered with additional marketing beyond the store area itself. 

Tone the marketing down please. Believe me, you offend people when you do things like this that insult their intelligence, young gamers included who were not born yesterday and are a lot smarter than you seem to give them credit for.

I mean these blunt comments in a good way you know. I like to be direct and not fool around. I like Origin and EA just fine myself. You guys put out a lot of great games. I am just asking you to please not screw up the presentation in the client. Fix this stuff because it is pure win all around for both EA and your customers.

Lastly, reading other commentary here tells me either management pushed this out without enough QA or somebody in QA has some answering to do given the issues I just read about. You guys a big outfit and there is no need of this. Again, I'm sorry if this seems blunt but I am being honest and direct. Somebody needs to get their act together. All the marketing dollars spent go right down the toilet when users in large numbers are offended by broken software and undesirable changes.

Message 1 of 1 (131 Views)