Re: Star Wars Battlefront 2 freezing and stuttering - 2019

by Ziomek12221

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Star Wars Battlefront 2 freezing and stuttering - 2019

★★★★★ Novice

My Star Wars Battlefront 2 has been stuttering heavily since the update with the Farmboy Luke skin and 'Kenobi' Maul emote. It has gotten to the point where it freezes during a game and makes it unplayable. After updating to the "Another Night on Endor" update and downloading the latest drivers for NVIDIA GeForce Experience, there was no improvement at all to the gameplay, and I still get the stuttering issues. Before the update, my game was running just fine. I should also mention that I used a FPS counter to confirm that my FPS is around 60, despite the constant stuttering.

I have tried:

-Re-installing the game

-Turning off DirectX12

-Turning off V-Sync

-Turning off Origin in-game overlay

-Setting the graphics settings to the lowest settings possible

All to no avail.

There is a temporary solution which requires me to disable NVIDIA shader cache, launch the game, turn the game off, re-enable NVIDIA shader cache and the game will run as normal, however this solution requires me to do it every time I want to launch the game, and I'm looking for a more permanent solution. 

I should also mention that I have downloaded some mods for the game, but they are purely cosmetic. I only downloaded Ortho's 4K Clone Legions mod, and the mod which gives Dooku a sword instead of a lightsaber. When the new update came, I forgot to delete the ModData folder in the game's files, but I launched the game without mods. I have now deleted the ModData folder and uninstalled all of the previously installed mods. 

Here are my specs:

Windows 10 Home 64-bit

Intel Core i7-7700HQ CPU @ 2.80GHz (8 CPUs)

8GB RAM

DirectX Version 12

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050

The dxdiag report is attached.

Message 1 of 36 (65,978 Views)

Accepted Solution

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Novice

@EA_Darko, sorry for the spam but I did something that made the game 100% smooth as it used to be

What I did:

-Made both Origin and Battlefront II as shortcuts on my desktop and made sure they always run as administrator

-Cleared origin cache, then restarted my PC

-Deleted temp files, then restarted my PC

-Cleared my cache, then restarted my PC

-Ran a clean boot on my PC

I will leave links in case anyone reads this forum and wants to know how to do the things above:

https://answers.ea.com/t5/EA-General-Questions/Star-Wars-Battlefront-2-Crash/m-p/6526607/highlight/t...

https://help.ea.com/en/help/pc/connection-troubleshooting-advanced-pc/#2

To run the game as administrator, find the .exe for the game, make a shortcut to your desktop (by right clicking it and clicking "Send to" and choosing "desktop") and right click it and set it to Run as administrator under the Compatibility tab

https://help.ea.com/en/help/faq/clear-cache-to-fix-problems-with-your-games/

https://help.ea.com/en-us/help/faq/how-to-clean-boot-your-pc/

Again, apologies if this fills up your inbox haha, I just feel really dumb finding these issues only after I reported the bug.

Edit: To those experiencing stuttering now, do check if:

1) If you're on a laptop, ensure the game is using your GPU, and not your laptop's integrated graphics.

2) Ensure you're using DX11, NOT DX12. According to other users, the way this game implements DX12 is janky, so if you want a stutter-free experience, go for DX11. 

If you have tried all of the above options, then I apologize as I know no other workaround. I'm not an EA employee or a computer geek, just a guy who wants to play Battlefront smoothly.

3) If you're launching the game from Epic, try and ensure that both Origin and Epic Games Launcher are set as administrators.

Other users have also reported that they have software on their PC/laptop that enables a "Turbo" mode, which overclocks their GPU, and that changing it to "Performance Mode" has made the game run smoothly.

View in thread

Message 6 of 36 (65,886 Views)

All Replies

Community Manager

Hey @vooners can you ensure that when launching the game you are doing so on your Nvidia card and not the integrated one. 

To change from your integrated card to your Nvidia card:

• Open "Nvidia Control Panel".
  • Select "Manage 3D Settings" under 3D Settings.
  • Click on "Program Settings" tab and then select the program you want to run.
  • Select "Preferred graphics processor" in drop-down menu and then select use the dedicated graphics card, select High-performance Nvidia processor.

Darko

Darko.png
Message 2 of 36 (65,943 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

Hey @EA_Darko, thanks for the quick response. 

Although I have not checked this setting before, when I checked it was defaulted to NVIDIA GPU. I have changed it to High-performance NVIDIA processor, but I am currently re-installing the game. Will tell you the results when the game has finished downloading.

Many thanks. 

Message 3 of 36 (65,935 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

Hello @EA_Darko,

Unfortunately, changing the preferred graphics processor to the High-performance NVIDIA processor did not work for me. The game still stutters, and only runs smoothly after I stand still in a certain area. Firing my blaster also causes the game to stutter, and sometimes have a "slow-mo" effect. Moving into a new part of the map also causes the game to stutter and lag horribly. 

Also, I looked at my task manager while playing the game, and saw that my GPU went to 100%, and my memory and CPU were around 95%. Whether this is normal or not, I do not know. 

I appreciate your reply soon.

Many thanks,

Voonel

Message 4 of 36 (65,906 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

Update: After making a shortcut to the game on my desktop and running it as administrator, the game seems to be running smoother than before, however there is still stuttering.

I joined a co-op game on Naboo, and at first it was stuttering quite badly, but after a minute or two it started going smooth again, with stutters whenever I was fighting Grievous, or many explosions happened at once. 

Of course, I'd like to get rid of this stuttering once and for all if possible.

Voonel

Message 5 of 36 (65,891 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Novice

@EA_Darko, sorry for the spam but I did something that made the game 100% smooth as it used to be

What I did:

-Made both Origin and Battlefront II as shortcuts on my desktop and made sure they always run as administrator

-Cleared origin cache, then restarted my PC

-Deleted temp files, then restarted my PC

-Cleared my cache, then restarted my PC

-Ran a clean boot on my PC

I will leave links in case anyone reads this forum and wants to know how to do the things above:

https://answers.ea.com/t5/EA-General-Questions/Star-Wars-Battlefront-2-Crash/m-p/6526607/highlight/t...

https://help.ea.com/en/help/pc/connection-troubleshooting-advanced-pc/#2

To run the game as administrator, find the .exe for the game, make a shortcut to your desktop (by right clicking it and clicking "Send to" and choosing "desktop") and right click it and set it to Run as administrator under the Compatibility tab

https://help.ea.com/en/help/faq/clear-cache-to-fix-problems-with-your-games/

https://help.ea.com/en-us/help/faq/how-to-clean-boot-your-pc/

Again, apologies if this fills up your inbox haha, I just feel really dumb finding these issues only after I reported the bug.

Edit: To those experiencing stuttering now, do check if:

1) If you're on a laptop, ensure the game is using your GPU, and not your laptop's integrated graphics.

2) Ensure you're using DX11, NOT DX12. According to other users, the way this game implements DX12 is janky, so if you want a stutter-free experience, go for DX11. 

If you have tried all of the above options, then I apologize as I know no other workaround. I'm not an EA employee or a computer geek, just a guy who wants to play Battlefront smoothly.

3) If you're launching the game from Epic, try and ensure that both Origin and Epic Games Launcher are set as administrators.

Other users have also reported that they have software on their PC/laptop that enables a "Turbo" mode, which overclocks their GPU, and that changing it to "Performance Mode" has made the game run smoothly.

Message 6 of 36 (65,887 Views)

Community Manager

Great to hear that you got the issue sorted and thanks for sahring your fix @vooners.

Darko

Darko.png
Message 7 of 36 (65,828 Views)

★★★ Newbie

@vooners 

I followed your steps.

My game is now as smooth as new doc Martens, thanks to your post.

Thx a lot.

:D

Message 8 of 36 (62,301 Views)

★ Novice

Just here to say that this is still an issue in 2021..

Had similar performance issues with Fallen Order as well. 

Message 9 of 36 (38,316 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Same here.. but unlike fallen order this one is multiplayer so frame drops and stutter is really a bad thing 

Message 10 of 36 (38,158 Views)