[Solved] - Origin Can't Find Internet Connection

by Ax30fD3th

Original Post

Accepted Solution

[Solved] - Origin Can't Find Internet Connection

★★★ Newbie

Figured I would share this with the community, and couldn't really find the right place for it...wasn't really going to spend a ton of time searching.

The Issue: You download and install Origin, but when attempting to launch for the first time you receive an error that Origin cannot find an internet connection, blah blah blah. Obviously, you have an internet connection, otherwise how did you download it right.

The real issue is that the Origin software does not properly look for an internet connection. Instead it looks specifically at the first active network adapter (usually Local Area Connection), and fails if that is not connected to the internet. I suspect it may happen only if that adapter IS connected to a LAN but NOT the internet, but I did not test that.

The problem this presents for some users, such as myself, is that we don't all have the same plain jane internet connection setup where Local Area Connection is either not used at all, or is the end all be all of our internet access. For example, in my setup I have a wireless adapter which functions as my connection to the internet, and additionally I have my Local Area Connection adapter connected to another router which is then open for additional devices to connect via WiFi. My primary PC then shares it's wireless internet connection with the additional LAN connected via Local Area Connection. As such, all traffic and devices route through my primary PC before getting to the internet. There's a lot of reasons for this, but when asked I would just reply that "The Chinaman is not the issue here dude".

[SOLUTION]

Although it should be considered a really crummy solution, as the real one would be for EA to fix this obvious programming error, you simply need to disable your Local Area Connection adapter (or any adapters that are not giving you your interwebs), and proceed to launch Origin again.

Hopefully this will be fixed by the programming wizards at EA at some point, but I wouldn't hold my breath, as these type of issues usually get swept aside as unimportant, i.e.it's not going to help their bottom line at all so who gives a ****.

Message 1 of 4 (12,734 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: [Solved] - Origin Can't Find Internet Connection

Community Manager

@Ax30fD3th Hi there,

Thanks for your listing what worked for you, I will now mark the thread as solved.

Aside of your observation, we would also recommend anyone with this issue to check out the steps listed here: http://answers.ea.com/t5/Origin/HOW-TO-Origin-Login-Unavailable-You-must-be-online-when-logging/td-p...

For anyone still unable to proceed afterwards, please create a new thread and let us know.

Cheers,

Nils

View in thread

Message 2 of 4 (12,750 Views)

All Replies

Community Manager

@Ax30fD3th Hi there,

Thanks for your listing what worked for you, I will now mark the thread as solved.

Aside of your observation, we would also recommend anyone with this issue to check out the steps listed here: http://answers.ea.com/t5/Origin/HOW-TO-Origin-Login-Unavailable-You-must-be-online-when-logging/td-p...

For anyone still unable to proceed afterwards, please create a new thread and let us know.

Cheers,

Nils

Message 2 of 4 (12,751 Views)

★★★ Newbie

i had this problem i have internet wired connection but i was unable to download properly because of my internet icon had a red X on it but internet works fined  so the app was saying error 14-1 no internet connexion so i was able to find a 5years old version of origin setup and it work and the app update himself to the point where the apps was like fresh from the download section of origin.com  hope it worked for u

Message 3 of 4 (12,390 Views)

★ Novice

yes this worked for me ( origin can't connect to the internet error : 14 -7

thank you

Message 4 of 4 (9,790 Views)