Slow Dowload Speed

by PocketTora

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Slow Dowload Speed

★★ Novice

I've been trying to download Battlefield: Hardline on and off since Monday but just haven't been able to due to extremely slow network speeds ranging from 20-130 KB/s. And it's nothing to do with me reaching my cap because I was able to download a game on Steam last night just fine, which is odd because I've always had a faster download speed on Origin.

I've tried all the fixes from flushing DNS to using RnD mode but nothing seems to be making it go faster, is their something wrong with the Origin download servers?

Message 1 of 10 (4,672 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: Slow Dowload Speed

[ Edited ]
EA DICE Team

@PocketTora

Note that your download speed can also be throttled by your internet provider. Should this be the case then no amount of troubleshooting from your or our side can resolve this. If you continue to experience this issue in the future then I would recommend to contact them as well.

Lastly, I am glad to hear that you've managed to download the game. Should you have any further questions then feel free to reach out to us again.

View in thread

Message 8 of 10 (5,175 Views)

All Replies

Community Manager

@PocketTora  Hi,

First off, make sure that you are running the Origin Client as administrator, so that it has sufficient rights to create folders and write files on your system partition: http://help.ea.com/en/article/how-do-i-run-a-program-or-a-game-as-an-administrator/

If that isn't the issue, please try to download the game using Safe Mode Downloading. You can activate that by going to Origin > Application Settings > Advanced > Safe Mode Downloading

This will force the use of another CDN and although it is usually a slower method, it might increase the download speed in this instance.

Let us know how you get on afterwards.

Thank you,

Nils

Message 2 of 10 (4,646 Views)

★★ Novice

Unfortunately I've already done both of those but I tried Safe Mode downloading again but it just made it even worse and cause the connection to go to as low as 100-370 bytes

Message 3 of 10 (4,640 Views)

Community Manager

@PocketTora Hi,

A few more things that you could try are available in this article here: http://help.ea.com/uk/article/connection-troubleshooting-advanced-pc/

Let me know whether that helps.

Cheers,

Nils

Message 4 of 10 (4,635 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Novice

I've tried all those except for the clean boot which is what I'm going to try now but I left the game to download overnight and it got to 50% with a download speed of 600 KB/s but after an hour or so it was still at 50% and it wasn't really downloading anything so I restarted Origin and the progress went back to 41% and the download sat there with 0 connection so I left it for about 25mins to see if anything changed but it hasn't.

I also noticed every time I pause or resume a download it takes an extremely long time to do so and sometimes when restarting Origin it starts downloading the DLC instead and doesn't even show the game in the list of downloads

EDIT: Just tried clean booting my PC but it just stayed at 0 connection so I paused it and it's been pausing the download for over 10mins now.

Message 5 of 10 (4,617 Views)

[ Edited ]
Community Manager

@PocketTora Alright, if it gets stuck like that, check that you have enough disk space.

Another reason could be the Origin Client attempting to ask for permissions for something, but not showing the window due to system settings.

Ways around that would be running it as administrator, which you have tried now already, as well as making sure that UAC is enabled and set to notify.

Please check out this article here afterwards. We have had reports of downloads reverting when the file system for the partition is set to FAT32. This is due to a limitation, files larger than 4GB cannot be written. Read more about that here: http://help.ea.com/en/article/origin-download-stops/

Let me know how you get on afterwards.

Cheers,

Nils

Message 6 of 10 (4,576 Views)

★★ Novice

I ended up downloading it, but those solutions didn't work either because it took an entire day to do so.

Message 7 of 10 (4,556 Views)

[ Edited ]
EA DICE Team

@PocketTora

Note that your download speed can also be throttled by your internet provider. Should this be the case then no amount of troubleshooting from your or our side can resolve this. If you continue to experience this issue in the future then I would recommend to contact them as well.

Lastly, I am glad to hear that you've managed to download the game. Should you have any further questions then feel free to reach out to us again.

Message 8 of 10 (5,176 Views)

★★★ Newbie

With all due respect, a 1GB update should NOT take 2hrs to download. Take ownership that it's on you guys. I can download a 116 GB game in 20 minutes on steam but it takes the same amount of time that it takes a glacier to carve out a river to download a MB on your app.

Message 9 of 10 (243 Views)

Community Manager

Please do not bump older threads like this ,

@xIDEATHSTROKEIx as it can be considered spam.

Darko 

Darko.png
Message 10 of 10 (219 Views)