Sims 4 is freezing in game and it crashes

by Holliehavocc

Original Post

Sims 4 is freezing in game and it crashes

★ Novice

Hi. I am having a problem with the sims 4. The game keeps freezing when i play, I get in game but after around 5 minutes the game will freeze for around 10-15 seconds, then the screen will go totally black and it will either come back on and be ok until it happens again or it will permanently freeze and I have to restart my pc. My pc is only a week old so I highly doubt it is a hardware issue and i have no custom content or mods installed. I have tried to repair the game files, uninstall and reinstall the game and checked my graphics drivers are up to date. Any advice on what this could be and how to fix it? I have attached my DxDiag file to the post. Thanks!

Message 1 of 4 (417 Views)

Re: Sims 4 is freezing in game and it crashes

Community Manager

Hey @Holliehavocc I'm seeing a number of errors there in your DxDiag so let's try using System File Checker in Windows 10: https://support.microsoft.com/en-ie/help/4026529/windows-10-using-system-file-checker

Once it's run try the game again to see if the issue remains.

Darko

Darko.png
Message 2 of 4 (406 Views)

★ Novice

I tried this and unfortunately the issue still remains.

Message 3 of 4 (365 Views)

@Holliehavocc  Out of curiosity, what message did you get when sfc finished?  (sfc found no corrupt files, it found corrupt files and successfully repaired them, it found corrupt files and was unable to repair some of them)

As a basic troubleshooting step, please move your entire Sims 4 game folder out of Documents\Electronic Arts and onto your desktop.  When you launch the game, a clean folder will be created with no content.  (Your saves and other content will be intact in the old folder but not loaded by the game.)  Don't add anything to this folder yet; just try playing for a few minutes and see whether it works.

But the Windows errors in your dxdiag are more likely hardware-related, either the hardware itself or a driver.  If you still get crashes with a clean folder in place, try playing in a clean boot, to see if it helps:

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-clean-boot-windows-10

Let me know either way.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 4 of 4 (351 Views)