Schedule Downloads

by Wolf_RSS

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Schedule Downloads

★★★ Newbie

Can I schedule downloads. I have budget bundles that run from midnight to 05h00 and would like to schedule all the origin downloads to only download during this time if possible.

Message 1 of 14 (12,681 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: Schedule Downloads

[ Edited ]
★★★ Newbie

Hey WolfRss; I have the same issue...

It's bad enough that Origin needs an update pretty much each time I log in - which is only <100 megs; to queue 20Gigs on start just kills me - and my download quota for the month. 

I've started to use Windows Task Scheduler to just kick off Origin at 2am (my "offpeak" kicks in then.) There's three things you need: 

1. Once you've browsed to Origin.exe in your "Action" section; copy the path (C:\Program files (x86)\Origin) into the start in box - and don't put quotation marks around it - that'll give an Error 0x8007010b.

2. Set it to "only run when the user is logged on" - this will just run the Origin.exe in the foreground - so you can see it. 

3. Run with the highest priveleges ensures you have access to the folders - because there's some downloads into the C:\ProgramData folder - you may (I haven't tested it) need admin priveleges over and above the user you're running the task as (which is the point of this one - it should be the user which normally runs Origin)

Good luck!

SniperMadz  Confusedmileyvery-happy:  Just means that they can mark that as closed. No need to keep thinking; - all is well at EA. 

Ads.

View in thread

Message 4 of 14 (14,243 Views)

All Replies

Community Manager

Hi wolfrss,

I'm sorry, but we don't have that feature for Origin. But if you want to you can tell Origin to download several games at once at midnight.

Hope that helps!

Ursula

Your friendly neighbourhood forum admin.

spectre.png
Message 2 of 14 (12,663 Views)

★★★ Newbie

How?

Message 3 of 14 (12,369 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Newbie

Hey WolfRss; I have the same issue...

It's bad enough that Origin needs an update pretty much each time I log in - which is only <100 megs; to queue 20Gigs on start just kills me - and my download quota for the month. 

I've started to use Windows Task Scheduler to just kick off Origin at 2am (my "offpeak" kicks in then.) There's three things you need: 

1. Once you've browsed to Origin.exe in your "Action" section; copy the path (C:\Program files (x86)\Origin) into the start in box - and don't put quotation marks around it - that'll give an Error 0x8007010b.

2. Set it to "only run when the user is logged on" - this will just run the Origin.exe in the foreground - so you can see it. 

3. Run with the highest priveleges ensures you have access to the folders - because there's some downloads into the C:\ProgramData folder - you may (I haven't tested it) need admin priveleges over and above the user you're running the task as (which is the point of this one - it should be the user which normally runs Origin)

Good luck!

SniperMadz  Confusedmileyvery-happy:  Just means that they can mark that as closed. No need to keep thinking; - all is well at EA. 

Ads.

Message 4 of 14 (14,244 Views)

Community Manager

@snipermadz 

Thank you, AdsSith. I have notified snipermadz to make him aware of this smart workaround.

Cheers,

Nils

Message 5 of 14 (12,255 Views)

★★★ Newbie

I know this is old, and the workaround still works, but can we please get this added to Origin? It sucks having to go outside of the platform for a not uncommon feature that's available on other competing platforms. When scheduling downloads outside of Origin we have to pause it while we're using Origin before our prefered download time and remember to unpause and exit Origin when finished (before our prefered time)

Message 6 of 14 (12,096 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Novice

This feature request was posted 2 years ago and a workaround posted 10 months ago.  Can we please get this feature added to Origin already!!?!?!?!

How hard can it really be to do that?  Not everyone lives in the big city and has unlimited bandwidth and speed.  Please don't only cater to that group.

Message 7 of 14 (11,443 Views)

★★ Novice

Also.. to add to AdsSmith's workaround, you should add a second Scheduled Task to stop Origin downloads at a specific time, so you don't have to wake up and do it manually if your free bandwidth ends during early morning hours.

Create the basic task and name it something like "Origin Stop" or "Kill Origin".

Tell it to run daily at the time your free bandwidth ends.

Use "Start a program" and type "taskkill" without quotes in the program/script field.

In the "Add arguments" field, type "/f /im origin.exe" without quotes.

Click OK to save the task.

That should be it.  Taskkill can be used to force quit any program that is running, so the Origin.exe client will die a quick and painless death at whatever time you choose.

The next time your "Origin Start" task happens as written by AdsSmith, the downloads will resume as long as you didn't manually pause them.  If you manually paused them, then you need to manually resume them in the downloads queue before quitting the client.

Message 8 of 14 (11,425 Views)

★★★ Novice

I would really like to see this feature added as well. Steam has a simple workaround to manage download and update times (adding games to queue then restating with time set)...

Message 9 of 14 (10,287 Views)

★★★ Novice

Steam doesn't need a workaround. It is a feature built into the client to only allow downloads during your specified hours.

Origin's lack of this feature is disgusting. My daughter just came home from college and burned up our entire month's datacap by simply starting Origin.

Message 10 of 14 (10,243 Views)