Re: STOP EXPIRING MY LOGIN CREDENTIALS IN THE MIDDLE OF A GAME

by EA_Darko

Original Post

STOP EXPIRING MY LOGIN CREDENTIALS IN THE MIDDLE OF A GAME

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Novice

I am beyond fed up with Origin taking me offline during a game. What if I was just about to get an Achievement?! I would have to load an old save and do the really hard thing all over again.

Every single time Origin signs me out I have to log back in, and every single time I do it tells me my info is wrong, and makes me reset my password. There is NO excuse for this!

And to pour salt on the wound, I keep trying my usual login info, because the info I am inputting is CORRECT, yet it just screws me over and over, and then it gets to the point where it makes me do those infuriating Captca "puzzles", which are usually 3 or more pictures in a row, and if Origin decides it is time expire my credentials for no reason (WHY IS THAT EVEN A THING?!), now I have to reset my password. I am doing this over and over for NO reason, and I should not have to go verify myself via e-mail when I was signed out DURING a game I was LOGGED ON to.

[Removed by CM]  I mean how ridiculous can you possibly get?? This has ruined my game an awful lot of times now, and I should never ever have to do this, for the obvious reason that my login info should NOT expire. I can MAYBE see if I had not logged on in like a few months or longer, but this happens while I am playing, so it is beyond obvious I have logged in VERY recently, and correctly. Have you never thought of the fact I may have been playing a game multiplayer online??

This ritual Origin is programmed to perform at our expense badly needs to be eliminated forever.

Message 1 of 11 (1,696 Views)

Community Manager

Best thing to do @100Beezys is try clearing the Origin cache to see if it helps.

You can clear the Origin Cache by following the steps below:

1. Completely log out and close down Origin
  2. Hold down the Windows key and R
  3. Type in "%ProgramData%" (without quotes) and click OK
  4. Now open the Origin folder.
  5. Delete all the files and folders in the Origin folder, except for LocalContent (do not delete this one)
  6. Hold down the Windows key and R
  7. Type in "%AppData%" (without quotes) and click OK
  8. This will take you to a Roaming folder, which is located inside of AppData. Delete the Origin folder
  9. Click on the word "AppData" at the top of your window
  10. Open the Local folder here
  11. Delete the Origin folder listed here
  12. Restart your PC and log back into Origin

Let me know how you get on.

Darko

Darko.png
Message 2 of 11 (1,651 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

Can you tell me why that'd make a difference? And/or give me a hypothesis why this is happening at all? 

I've been having a similar problem as OP, although it's only happened when I restart Origin never during a game (yet). 
Several times it's reset my password suggesting there was 'suspicious activity' but when it's forced me to change my password only a few days before already, and then too a few days before that, I find the idea that someone was trying to hack my account Profoundly Unlikely. 

Haven't tried your suggestion yet, although I will.
But it just seems strange, because why would app data make it think I was getting scammed? 

Message 3 of 11 (1,528 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Novice

It just happened again. It has been a week, and already I have to deal with this again...

And yes, same as @PurplesShade I got some warning about "suspicious activity" and had to reset my password, just like always. It almost seems like "suspicious activity" refers to literally any activity at all...like playing a game, for example.

...and where did my avatar go?? At this point I fully expect even more problems to happen.

Message 4 of 11 (1,517 Views)

★★★★ Apprentice

To OP: I've had this happen twice in the last 4-5 days

To EA:
Seriously EA, fix your things, or launch your games onto Steam - At least that platform doesn't require you to reset passwords several times a week. 

And I have a few things to say about your client / server performance.
The most pressing issues are as following:
* Client being slow, hangs up after a few game restart sessions.
* Client overlay being very slow, refuses to work after a certain time. 
* Friends list not populating when it should.
* P2P game hosting being very glitchy at higher latencies (ping-times) - such as taking phantom hits from non-existent enemies. 
* A lot of clutter in the client. 
* Hard to access client options.
* Not being able to turn off automatic game updates - Pain in the * if you are modding!

Message 5 of 11 (1,494 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Novice

How is this an accepted solution?  @EA_Darko

Message 6 of 11 (1,489 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Novice

I was right. More stuff going wrong. Origin asked me what language I want to use (it doesn't know that by now?). Then The Sims 3 installed on its own. I needed room on my drive so I had that deleted when EA support could not figure out why Monte Vista would not install. This on top of the usual needing to reset password. And the fun of losing my avatar here on the forum.

Also I installed Origin to my E drive so it will leave my system files alone, and it wanted to make a Program Files (x86) path on it, so I said NOPE and made a custom path, yet every time I turned Origin on, it recreates a Program Files (x86) folder on that drive, with nothing in it. When I delete it, it remakes it. I locked the folder so it could not remake that stupid folder again, and Windows 10 took full control over the entire drive, and I could no longer add files or folders to it (no permission), so I had to manually take permission back over every individual folder (2TB), which took a full day.

I am curious to see what EA issue pops up next. Fully expect games to uninstall themselves or a full PC crash.

Edit: Now Origin isn't loading Dragon Age Inquisition on full-screen, just a little window. That never happened before. When it rains it pours. I feel like this list of issues is going to grow pretty big... Disappointed

Message 7 of 11 (1,426 Views)

★★ Guide

Same as you, @PurplesShade , It happened to me again like 1 hour ago. Got an email reporting suspicious acitivity and forces me to reset my password. Like you, it's unlikely someone tried to steal my account, just like it happened 7 days ago.

I've been trying to search around to see if anyone else was having the same problem

Message 8 of 11 (1,416 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Novice

Glad to know I'm not alone. It happened again today too, and I can't fathom why

I wish EA would just ask me about what it thinks is suspicious. Then I could either look into stopping it, or confirm I did whatever thing they're concerned about. 
Also, I initially thought it might have been the amount I was restarting origin (because it has memory-leak issues and eats ram like candy) but even when I just ignore that and don't restart ever this apparently still happens. So, cross that off the possible reasons why list. 

Hm, if the problem is on their end, maybe it's not whole-cloth a coincidence that several of us have had it happen? That's just speculation, but I find I have to wonder if they have some bug that's maybe causing their system to accidentally false flag groups of people. I hope whatever it is can be fixed. 

Message 9 of 11 (1,354 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Apprentice

I wonder, is it possible that Origin stores some cookies in the temporary system folder and some clean-up tool removes those files periodically, including Origin's login credentials? If this is the case, Origin should keep its files in a separate folder and the clean-up tool might have to be checked if it has a sort of an exclusion system to enforce keeping Origin's credentials - which might be a cookie or something else.

It's a long shot, but I'd look into that.

Message 10 of 11 (1,326 Views)