Re: Recover files deleted by Origin uninstaller

by Ninjakid0707

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Recover files deleted by Origin uninstaller

★★ Novice

I accidentally installed Origin to D:\Program Files (x86) instead of D:\Program Files(x86)\Origin.

So I uninstall using the Origin uninstaller because I don't know which files Origin associate with.
However, instead of deleting the software's files. It delete the whole Program Files(x86) folder (500GB of games, working document, music gone).

Can you help me recover my files and please, for the love of god, update your Origin uninstaller with a filter to work like any normal uninstaller.

Message 1 of 6 (2,482 Views)

Accepted Solution

[ Edited ]
EA DICE Team

@Ninjakid0707

Hi there,

Thank you for reaching out to us. I understand that issue that you are experiencing, but I'm sorry to say that we won't be able to restore any files that were deleted in this manner.

While this won't help you out currently, we are aware that an Origin sub folder isn't automatically being created when using a custom installation path for Origin.

Once again, I'm truly sorry that you lost all your files this manner. We are currently investigating all necessary steps to make sure that this cannot happen again in the future.

View in thread

Message 4 of 6 (2,801 Views)

All Replies

Community Manager

@Ninjakid0707

Uninstalling Origin will not delete or empty your Program Files folder so I am unsure how you accidentally did that.

You can open your Recycle Bin on your desktop to see if you can right click and Restore the deleted files. If your missing files are not there then you might want to look into file recovery/undelete tools to get those files back.

barry.png
Message 2 of 6 (2,469 Views)

★★ Novice

Perhaps you didn't fully read my problem. I accidentally install Origin into D:\Program Files (x86) instead of D:\Program Files (x86)\Origin.
Usually in those case, i can just use the uninstaller because the uninstaller contain which files belong to the software due to the competence of the developer.

But in this case Origin just uninstall whatever files in the folder instead of the specific files.

I reinstall Origin into D:\Origin test to make it easier for you to understand:
(Check the pictures in my link for better description https://www.dropbox.com/sh/o3a1l3nav0h05ex/AAB_J-LLCHkVdggh52ZCeb4sa?dl=0)
As you can see, I install Origin into Origin test folder (Capture 1).
I put some files that is not related to Origin (Capture 2) and in case you miss them (Capture 2 - Copy).
And when I use the uninstaller, instead of deleting Origin files, It delete the whole folder (Capture 3). Usually a normal game or software would delete specific files to avoid deleting user personal saves, mods or unrelated files.
I really don't want to make a big deal out of this so I just want you to help me recover the files with some reliable software. I can find recovery software myself but most of the free version of these software don't fully recover the lost data compare to the paid version and I find it ridiculous to buy one myself just because your uninstaller misses some code lines.

Message 3 of 6 (2,461 Views)

[ Edited ]
EA DICE Team

@Ninjakid0707

Hi there,

Thank you for reaching out to us. I understand that issue that you are experiencing, but I'm sorry to say that we won't be able to restore any files that were deleted in this manner.

While this won't help you out currently, we are aware that an Origin sub folder isn't automatically being created when using a custom installation path for Origin.

Once again, I'm truly sorry that you lost all your files this manner. We are currently investigating all necessary steps to make sure that this cannot happen again in the future.

Message 4 of 6 (2,802 Views)

★★ Novice

Thanks for the condolences. Can you suggest me some recovery software?

Message 5 of 6 (2,443 Views)

[ Edited ]
EA DICE Team

@Ninjakid0707

A web search gave me a wide array of available options, but as they aren't any EA related programs, I am not at liberty to recommend a specific one.

I'm not sure that you will be able to retrieve the files with a recovery program, but let's hope for the best in the end.

Once again, I'm sorry for this situation, and I wanted to confirm once more that we're investigating steps for an upcoming Origin release to make sure that this situation cannot happen again in the future.

Message 6 of 6 (2,424 Views)