Re: Connection Timeout Error Code: 1:-8917511980

by redman6973

Original Post

★★★★ Novice
@SAVAGElllOPRESS If you're having the same issue as I am and you're hardwired, then I doubt it's related to how we're connected to the internet.
Message 11 of 33 (1,034 Views)

Community Manager

@redman6973 wrote:

I'm in a different room from my modem and router set up so I would need to purchase a much longer ethernet cable to try that. I would like to be able to just use this new motherboard's built-in WiFi. Are there any possible reasons you've identified yet that would explain this issue? 

@redman6973, well I have a feeling that it could be WiFi related.

EA_LeeuwAHQ
Message 12 of 33 (999 Views)

★★★★ Novice

Hey @EA_Leeuw ,

Things have been busy with finals week, so I havent been able to keep up with this thread. When i have the chance, I will follow up and let you know if ethernet solves the problem.

Message 13 of 33 (910 Views)

★★★★ Novice

@EA_Leeuw ,

I've connected my computer via ethernet cable to my router. These are the test results:

http://www.dslreports.com/speedtest/70872853

Before I post this, I will run a match of Battlefield 2042 to see if the problem still occurs while hardwired.

Alright, I played a full match of 128 player breakthrough without any disconnects, and Discord was running fine the whole time. If these results stay consistent then it has to be a WiFi issue. The problem is, I can't stay on ethernet. And regardless, the game should be playable over WiFi. Any ideas?

Message 14 of 33 (830 Views)

[ Edited ]
Community Manager

Hey @redman6973,

I am happy to hear from you again. Hope everything is going well with the finals? Standard smile

Alright, so it's probably the WiFi after all. It's a very common thing to cause issues while gaming or while doing other stuff that requires a stable connection, like voice chat via Discord.

I wanna touch on the thing you mentioned here; "The problem is, I can't stay on ethernet. And regardless, the game should be playable over WiFi."

Unfortunately, there is no straightforward answer to that. It's a 'yes and a no', kind of answer.

Yes, the game should (and is, just like everything else) playable over WiFi. However, it's the quality of your WiFi that determines if you will experience any issues or not. For example, your signal might be 100%, full bars etc., but it's still possible that there's a lot of interference from other wireless devices in the household or outside, for example. Even turning on a microwave can ruin your gameplay experience if you're gaming via WiFi, believe it or not. Or a TV even. Now, the more modern devices create less interference, but this doesn't mean that it's gone. This all is just a small selection of things that can interfere with the quality of your WiFi.

If you only have the option to game via WiFi, the best thing I can recommend that you do is check if you have the possibility to have a good and strong 5Ghz WiFi signal (if your devices support it), rather than the usual 2.4Ghz. The 5Ghz signal is higher in terms of frequency and therefore is not as 'busy' as the other 2.4Ghz devices. And 5Ghz cannot interfere with other 5Ghz signals (well, barely).

But... Of course, playing via ethernet is always the best thing you can do.

EA_LeeuwAHQ
Message 15 of 33 (784 Views)

★★★★ Novice

Hey @EA_Leeuw , 

Thank you, yes everything went well Standard smile

Unfortunately, I have some bad news. After more testing on a different day, it turns out the ethernet cable did not solve anything. For a short period of time, the connection was smooth, but I only had the time to play one match. While playing the day after, my internet started giving the same issues as it had before over WiFi. I'm not sure to what extent interference can be expected while on ethernet, but  the cable is brand new and separated from other wires.

I should mention that the first speed test I sent was conducted while connected to the 5Ghz band on my WiFi. I feel it's worth testing to see if the problem occurs on the 2.4Ghz band, which I will test before posting this response.

After playing one match of 64 player breakthrough on 2.4Ghz WiFi, the issue did not occur. I'll test again before the next time I post a reply.

I'm almost certain that at this point the issue is related to some kind of security setting on this new router, because I was not experiencing anything like this before on the old router. Have you heard anybody else complain about connection issues with a Linksys router?

Again, thank you for your time and patience, and attempting to help me figure this out. 

Message 16 of 33 (750 Views)

[ Edited ]
Community Manager

Hey @redman6973,

Ah alright, so even when playing with ethernet you sometimes experience the issues? Hmm, are they as severe as when you play via WiFi?

It's indeed also very well possible that there's some kind of security settings, or another config, on your router that is causing all this. May I ask what brand/model router you have?
Also what comes to mind is if you're maybe able to check if there's a firmware update available for your router, or not, or if this has to be done by your ISP themselves. Always worth to give that a shot as well.

Apart from that, may I ask if you know if your router supports QoS by any chance?

EA_LeeuwAHQ
Message 17 of 33 (689 Views)

★★★★ Novice

Hey @EA_Leeuw , 

Yes, the issue is the same on WiFi and Ethernet. I'm not sure why it sometimes doesn't occur, but it always does occur eventually, either after one or two games. 

I am using a Linksys AX5400 Model E9450 WiFi router.

Funny story, the only way to resolve the problem is by performing a firmware "upgrade," though I'm just flashing the router with the same version over and over. It's worth noting that it is using the latest firmware update. After the firmware "upgrade" finishes, the problem goes away until I run the game again.

Just checked the security settings and yes, my router does support QoS. I have not touched that setting yet though. Could that solve my issue?

Message 18 of 33 (617 Views)

Community Manager
Hey @redman6973,

Alright, so in that case I have the odd feeling that there could be a bug in the firmware of the router that is causing this issue. Maybe you can try to 'downgrade' the firmware of your router to see if that fixes it for now? Had to do that myself numerous times for example, where a bug was present in a new version, so a rollback was the only option.

QoS can indeed also be helpful in these kinds of situations. Would you maybe be able to post a screenshot of your router's QoS page, by any chance? (Don't forget to blur/block any potential privacy sensitive data though.)
EA_LeeuwAHQ
Message 19 of 33 (495 Views)

★★★★ Novice

Sure, I can try downgrading the firmware.

Attaching a screenshot of my QoS settings as well.

Message 20 of 33 (414 Views)