Re: Connection Timeout Error Code: 1:-8917511980

by redman6973

Original Post

★★★★ Novice

Hey @EA_Leeuw ,

I've been having the same issue with Battlefield 2042, as well as a similar game by the name of WW3. I've run the test on my computer and I'm sending the results deeply hoping you can  help me troubleshoot. 

On a side note, not only do I relatively frequently receive this error,  it has also affected other applications on my computer such as Discord and Zoom. Though this may not be the place to search for those answers, maybe you can point me in the correct direction. I am stumped.

http://www.dslreports.com/speedtest/70804790 

Message 1 of 33 (3,077 Views)

Community Manager
Hey @redman6973,

I've split off your post real quick from the main thread, as it seems like for you it's more of a widespread issue, rather than focused on one game.

I'm more than happy to see if I can help you out a bit.

First of all; if the link that you posted is indeed the result of your test, it looks really good. Especially the bufferbloat (which is very important for multiplayer games). But you're mentioning that you're still getting these reports in many games, hmm... Let's see if there's something you can try.

May I ask; what is your home network setup like? Do you have a normal cable or fibre modem & a router, do you have an all-in-one box or do you maybe have limited internet access (as in a GB package per month) or something like Starlink for example?
EA_LeeuwAHQ
Message 2 of 33 (3,019 Views)

★★★★ Novice

Hey @EA_Leeuw , thank you for taking the time to try and help me resolve my situation. I've done lots and lots of googling and forum checking and have not been able to find anybody with a similar problem.

I know that my internet is decent, I'm currently paying for 900 down and 20 up from Comcast Xfinity. We use a landline coax cable plugged into a modem, with an ethernet cable connecting that to a separate router. I can give exact modem and router models if needed, though I know for a fact both devices are capable of handling our internet plan. 

I have had an Xfinity technician come out and replace the coaxial cable, still the same issue. I originally assumed that this issue was only isolated to WW3, the game that originally was causing the problem. I did some digging and discovered that the game is almost entirely Russian owned and operated, from the forums and servers to the built-in cloud service (which is actually run by a Chinese company whose name I forgot) so I figured I would just steer clear in the current climate of the world. But after Patch #4.0, I jumped back in to 2042 only to discover the issue is not isolated and may either be caused by our new internet hardware, or a different setting somewhere on my computer. 

I should add, both the modem and router were recent purchases to coincide with the new internet plan. All hardware is new, including my own PC hardware. 

Message 3 of 33 (2,964 Views)

Community Manager
@redman6973, cheers for the info. Before I come up with potential steps you can maybe give a try, may I ask what you've tried yourself already?
EA_LeeuwAHQ
Message 4 of 33 (2,932 Views)

★★★★ Novice

@EA_Leeuw sure, no problem. At the moment my current solution is performing a firmware "upgrade" by reinstalling the same firmware version on my router through a web browser. This resolves the issue, but does not prevent it from happening the next time I open the game. 

I've tried disabling VPN passthrough in case that was causing interference, I've done multiple Windows Defender online, offline and full system scans for viruses, as well as Malwarebytes anti-rootkit scans to look for malware. I have also double checked all my network security settings, made sure my wifi settings were configured properly as a private network, and allowed Easy AntiCheat access through my firewall. And as previously stated, I have had a technician from my ISP come out and check the lines, everything appears to be functional and I did have the coaxial cable replaced anyways as a precaution, still no luck.

I have noticed that possibly the only similarity between the two games is the anti-cheat software, so I suspect it has something to do with that. Although the only solution I could come up with was allowing access through the firewall, but that hasn't worked.

As a quick recap, the issue I'm having will force Discord to almost randomly disconnect and reconnect while I'm in a voice chat, in both servers and on calls. On Zoom it causes the audio to cut out every 10-15 seconds and lasts for maybe 3-5 seconds before coming back. 

Message 5 of 33 (2,910 Views)

Community Manager
@redman6973, gotcha. May I ask; are you primarily using WiFi, or an ethernet cable to connect your PC to your modem/router?
EA_LeeuwAHQ
Message 6 of 33 (2,864 Views)

★★★★ Novice

@EA_Leeuw , I am using WiFi.

Message 7 of 33 (2,837 Views)

★★★★ Novice
@EA_Leeuw I have the same problem here and I am using ethernet cable
Message 8 of 33 (2,786 Views)

[ Edited ]
Community Manager

@redman6973, alright. Do you have the possibility to grab an ethernet cable, plug it into your PC & check if you're still experiencing all the odd disconnect issues?

EA_LeeuwAHQ
Message 9 of 33 (2,762 Views)

★★★★ Novice

I'm in a different room from my modem and router set up so I would need to purchase a much longer ethernet cable to try that. I would like to be able to just use this new motherboard's built-in WiFi. Are there any possible reasons you've identified yet that would explain this issue? 

Message 10 of 33 (2,668 Views)