Re: Proving you're human.

by DAW085

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Proving you're human.

★ Guide

The algorithm used to select those who need to go through the in-game verification of being a human and not a spambot needs tweaked. I spend a lot of time buying and reselling cheaper packs on the auction block, and in a fair manner. Yet every five or ten minutes without fail I have to prove I'm human. If I was human 5 minutes ago, I'm probably gonna be human now. This is getting extremely tedious and frustrating to say the least.

Message 1 of 6 (1,688 Views)

Accepted Solution

★ Guide
Fine, I'll rephrase. You are engaging in behavior that is triggering their bot filter. You want them to lower their threshold, but that is unlikely to happen. Anti-bot measures are not meant to be transparent, as making any of the information public allows bot writers and bad actors tweak their penetration testing.

It's super frustrating, but it's the world we live in.

It's also why most MMO's ban macros. It's not that they want you to have to repeat repetitive tasks ad-nauseum, it's just that the behavior looks exactly like botting, and they don't have the resources to give players the benefit of the doubt.

Was that more helpful? I personally hate "I understand your frustration" as a reply when it can at least be partially explained.

I am sorry that my reply either came off as flippant or vague.

View in thread

Message 4 of 6 (1,566 Views)

All Replies

★ Guide
You're doing something weird. Find a way to do so in a more human way, or accept that EA is trying to prevent Skynet through CAPTCHA.
Message 2 of 6 (1,666 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Guide

I can respect and appreciate the attempt at ensuring a fair marketplace. I simply suggested that thresholds of some sort be made. What I don't accept are sarcastic answers, especially when you imply I'm doing something wrong. I rip packs. I sell what I want. I repeat. How am I supposed to do it more human? I am after all a human. Do they think I have the thumbs of an ape?? Next time you try to sound half intelligent on the internet, at least have a valid argument.

Message 3 of 6 (1,641 Views)

★ Guide
Fine, I'll rephrase. You are engaging in behavior that is triggering their bot filter. You want them to lower their threshold, but that is unlikely to happen. Anti-bot measures are not meant to be transparent, as making any of the information public allows bot writers and bad actors tweak their penetration testing.

It's super frustrating, but it's the world we live in.

It's also why most MMO's ban macros. It's not that they want you to have to repeat repetitive tasks ad-nauseum, it's just that the behavior looks exactly like botting, and they don't have the resources to give players the benefit of the doubt.

Was that more helpful? I personally hate "I understand your frustration" as a reply when it can at least be partially explained.

I am sorry that my reply either came off as flippant or vague.
Message 4 of 6 (1,567 Views)

★ Guide

I agree and understand that I'm triggering their filter. My thought was that maybe the guidelines programmed into this fraud protection service may be a bit extreme. I have no problems authenticating myself as a person, but an average of 6 or 7 times an hour seems excessive. While I acknowledge that no change would be likely, you never know until you try.

Apology accepted and I'll also apologize for my tone in my response to you. I initially took it as a sarcastic attempt to belittle and blame me for doing something wrong to trigger verification. 

I greatly appreciate your follow up reply and willingness to discuss further rather than leaving this post die off in a negative light.

Message 5 of 6 (1,541 Views)

★ Guide

I think it would be fantastic if they had a verified sellers option, but that's something for EA support, not anything I can help with. If they did have a verification option, they could whitelist high volume sellers.

I mean STEAM has been around a lot longer than Origin, and they've had to haul in some draconian restrictions on their sellers market, some of which I deeply disagree with. For instance, you have to make a real money transaction for account verification. Every Year.  There are bound to be bumps along the way over here as well.

I can't say Live support would be able to do anything about this, but maybe a moderator could weigh in on a sellers market on origin? I understand this is fairly popular in sports titles, not really my bag, but I can certainly see the appeal.

Honestly it just seems to me you're ahead of the average, and that's nothing to feel bad about. At the same time, I hope that an official response could help you more than my spitballing.

Heck, I don't even remember the name of the baseball game on NES I used to play, but I once traded away a player, and it had a whole animation of him loading up a hobo stick and walking off. Made me feel horrible. Like I kicked a dog or something.

Maybe that's why I've never really got into sports titles in gaming, that very early trauma.

Message 6 of 6 (1,476 Views)