Re: Problems Launching Jade Empire

by Natorni

Original Post

★★★ Newbie

I had a similar problem.

I'm running Windows 8.1 (with startisback)

When launching the game from Origin I would get a black screen but here's how I solved the problem

I installed that old directx dependency at the beginning of this thread but I don't know if that actually helped or not. The other one that someone posted wouldn't install because I already had a newer version installed already.

Find the settings program in the games install directory, on my computer it was c:\Program Files x86 \ Origin Games \ Jade Empire

and use the compatibility launcher to get it to work, I believe it just wants administrator privileges, once it starts working set your settings there like widescreen and screen resolution and then in the menus save your settings and close.

Then set the JadeEmpire.exe compatibility to WindowsXP service pack 3 by right clicking on it and going into the properties (using the compatibility wizard will just be a nightmare for this guy unlike the settings setting program (fail pun.. anyways...))

Get ready to run the executable by first closing Origin out completely (in the program and the taskbar at the bottom right), then open the Jade Empire executable with a double click and origin will load up and update itself by installing an older version of itself and then wait and it will load the game finally.

Of course Origin will yell at you later that the times they are a changing, come gather round people and admit that origin has really got me to the bone if this game is worth saving because origin is sinking like a stone

Really you have to install an old version of origin to get a game working and you will see this updating origin screen every time you load this way because it's going to download and update Origin any other way you load it, so you will be upgrading and downgrading constantly. Why can't Origin be more like Steam when it comes to these old games instead of making me jump through hoops. I recently got Mirror's Edge on Origin and in order to get PhyX to work I had to delete files from the install directory, why couldn't they do that for me? I could list the words I want to use for this whole thing but yeah, I spent too long to get this game to work and if you are trying to get it to work and find this post as your saving grace, well, I uninstalled Jade Empire, good thing it was free.

If you want to know how to fix Mirror's Edge and you have a Nvidia card and a modern PC go to this director and delete the following files:

Binaries directory (from C:\Program  Files  (x86)\ etc....Mirrors Edge\Binaries ):
PhysXLocal directory
PhysXCore.dll
PhysXDevice.dll

I'm so mad I wasted some of my life over this, but the new Mirror's Edge looks like a let down, I really like the original so I played that one over again instead of buying the new one.

Message 41 of 52 (4,055 Views)

★★★★ Novice

@bogdanolteanu wrote:

After some frustration from Microsoft, I was able to download "DirectX End-User Runtime Web Installer" from here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=35&40ddd5bd-f9e7-49a6-3526-f86656931a02=Tru...
Note 1: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=35 (without the GUID mambo-jambo) will redirect to https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download. Why it does that will be a mystery for the God of programmers to solve.

Note 2: although system requirements states supported operating system only to: Windows 7, Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 1, Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 2, Windows Server 2008, Windows Vista, Windows XP Service Pack 2, Windows XP Service Pack 3 - it will work on Windows 10

the game was working fine until a few months ago, (i stopped cos i was stuck), trued again this week but all i get is black screen and that last link all i get is page removedFrown

Message 42 of 52 (4,017 Views)

★★★★ Novice

@ch_roche_Mathyas wrote:

Just got the same error but found the answer here . You only have to edit the JadeEmpire.ini to allow Widescreen and set your actual screen resolution. Worked fine for me!

Everything in the ini file is set corredtly, but all i get is black screen

Message 43 of 52 (4,017 Views)

★★★★ Novice

@TheRawski wrote:

I had a similar problem.

I'm running Windows 8.1 (with startisback)

When launching the game from Origin I would get a black screen but here's how I solved the problem

I installed that old directx dependency at the beginning of this thread but I don't know if that actually helped or not. The other one that someone posted wouldn't install because I already had a newer version installed already.

Find the settings program in the games install directory, on my computer it was c:\Program Files x86 \ Origin Games \ Jade Empire

and use the compatibility launcher to get it to work, I believe it just wants administrator privileges, once it starts working set your settings there like widescreen and screen resolution and then in the menus save your settings and close.

Then set the JadeEmpire.exe compatibility to WindowsXP service pack 3 by right clicking on it and going into the properties (using the compatibility wizard will just be a nightmare for this guy unlike the settings setting program (fail pun.. anyways...))

Get ready to run the executable by first closing Origin out completely (in the program and the taskbar at the bottom right), then open the Jade Empire executable with a double click and origin will load up and update itself by installing an older version of itself and then wait and it will load the game finally.

Of course Origin will yell at you later that the times they are a changing, come gather round people and admit that origin has really got me to the bone if this game is worth saving because origin is sinking like a stone

Really you have to install an old version of origin to get a game working and you will see this updating origin screen every time you load this way because it's going to download and update Origin any other way you load it, so you will be upgrading and downgrading constantly. Why can't Origin be more like Steam when it comes to these old games instead of making me jump through hoops. I recently got Mirror's Edge on Origin and in order to get PhyX to work I had to delete files from the install directory, why couldn't they do that for me? I could list the words I want to use for this whole thing but yeah, I spent too long to get this game to work and if you are trying to get it to work and find this post as your saving grace, well, I uninstalled Jade Empire, good thing it was free.

If you want to know how to fix Mirror's Edge and you have a Nvidia card and a modern PC go to this director and delete the following files:

Binaries directory (from C:\Program  Files  (x86)\ etc....Mirrors Edge\Binaries ):
PhysXLocal directory
PhysXCore.dll
PhysXDevice.dll

I'm so mad I wasted some of my life over this, but the new Mirror's Edge looks like a let down, I really like the original so I played that one over again instead of buying the new one.

That didn't work for me just a black screen still

Message 44 of 52 (4,016 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Novice

Ok guys think ive cracked it!!!

Downloaded the directx fix mentioned above,dont know if this helps at all,but installed it anyway.

Locate your Jade Empire install folder If like me you got it thru ORIGIN its located here

C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\Jade Empire

open the JadeEmpire.ini file

Then press CTRL F to get search window and type NoMovies 

click find and change to the following

NoMovies=1
NoLogos=1

Theres no need to run in any compatibility mode or to change the screen resolution,

once game starts  then you can change to your preffered resolution in options.

Weird thing is , the jade empire config utility wouldn`t run either,just crashed when scanning my system,but once I got jade empire to work it started working also.

Anyways hope this works for ya,if it does gimme some xp rewards.:eahigh_file:

Message 45 of 52 (3,961 Views)

★★★ Novice

Locate your Jade Empire install folder If like me you got it thru ORIGIN its located here

C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\Jade Empire

open the JadeEmpire.ini file

Then press CTRL F to get search window and type NoMovies

click find and change to the following

NoMovies=1
NoLogos=1

Theres no need to run in any compatibility mode or to change the screen resolution,

Once game starts you can change to your preffered resolution in options.

Weird thing is , the jade empire config utility wouldn`t run either,just crashed when scanning my system,but once I got jade empire to work it started working also.

Anyways hope this works for ya,if it does gimme some xp rewards.High five

Message 46 of 52 (3,930 Views)

★★★★★ Newbie

This seemed to work for me, in conjunction with running auto compatibility on Win 10. Not sure if it was one thing or the other (disable movies/logos or setting auto compatibility). I ran auto compatibility on the launcher (JadeEmpireLauncher.exe) and the config (JadeEmpireConfig.exe) exe's but not the game exe. Auto compatibility suggested Win XP SP2 so I went with it.

So happy to get it working. Classic Bioware.

Message 47 of 52 (3,519 Views)

★★ Novice

Running Windows 10 with Nvidia and Republic of Gamers software. Was having the issue where nothing would happen, except my cursor was stuck in the top left corner of the screen. I went to the game file and managed to open the Configuration application. I set things to the right ratio for my computer, and that worked. Game now runs like a charm.

Message 48 of 52 (2,617 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Hi Guys, so I did like You all said. But unfortunately the game doesn't start.
Maybe its because resent origin update? 
Didn't play Jade Empire for a long time, so shame :/

Message 49 of 52 (2,387 Views)

★★★ Newbie

I am going to try thigs.  Steam is not what it used to be.  It refuses to help at all.  At first trying to tell me that I played the game for 7 hours when I was tying all of that time to fix it so I could play it. Then after telling them I went somewhere else for help and they needed the key or the code for the purchase to fix it.  They said they had none.  I went back to the other people and they said to try this since Steam refused to help.  It was the first time to use it and I made the account so I could download a game that was stolen from me. Steam is starting to go downhill evidently.  I heard it was great, not in my book for the first game I purchased. They refused a refund.  I can't wait to try this.

Message 50 of 52 (1,847 Views)