Portable HDD with Origin games shared between two computers

by TheGamingN00b67

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Portable HDD with Origin games shared between two computers

★★★ Newbie

I currently have my Origin games (Titanfall, Battlefield 3, etc.) and game files installed and stored on my portable USB 3.0 HDD.  I connect the portable HDD to my laptop at home and play my games that way.  I would like to take this same portable HDD, connect it to my desktop PC at work, and play the games on my work PC.  Is this possible with just connecting my portable HDD to my work PC without having to reinstall my games and game files on my work PC's local hard drive?

Message 1 of 6 (4,145 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: Portable HDD with Origin games shared between two computers

EA Staff

It is doable, but for the first time you will need to follow the steps below:

1. Set Origin download directory to reflect the portable hard drive (Application Settings - Advanced)

2. Start the download of the game from Origin client

3. Pause the download as soon as the progress bar appears

4. Move the files from the full game installation folder to the newly created folder

After this the game should work without the need to redownload/reinstall.

View in thread

Message 2 of 6 (4,556 Views)

All Replies

EA Staff

It is doable, but for the first time you will need to follow the steps below:

1. Set Origin download directory to reflect the portable hard drive (Application Settings - Advanced)

2. Start the download of the game from Origin client

3. Pause the download as soon as the progress bar appears

4. Move the files from the full game installation folder to the newly created folder

After this the game should work without the need to redownload/reinstall.

Message 2 of 6 (4,557 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Thank you, this solution seems to work.  My desktop PC used the same exact path for my portable HDD as my laptop, so no issues there.  One thing I had to do was make sure I had enough space on my portable HDD to download the game - for example Titanfall required a 59gb download so my HDD had to have at least that much space or more available.  Even though I would not be downloading any new files, I still had to make sure the HDD had this space available.  I clicked "download", Origin would show the "Installing" progress bar, but it would never show any progress percentage happening.  After a few minutes, the download would be completed and I would be all set to play.  No new files were downloaded and the orignial files on the HDD remained intact and not rewritten.  I did not have to move any files from the full game installation folder because I used the same exact path from my laptop designated for the portable HDD for my desktop.

Message 3 of 6 (4,125 Views)

★★★ Newbie
it possible if you allready have an origin portable in your work pc
Message 4 of 6 (3,013 Views)

★★★ Newbie

How?

Message 5 of 6 (1,712 Views)

Community Manager

Hey @MastPutro I'm locking this thread as it is 5 years old at this stage.

If you set your external drive as your install path for Origin then as long as it is connected to the system you will be able to use if for your games.

Darko

Darko.png
Message 6 of 6 (1,702 Views)