PLEASE MODS PIN THIS - "Origin does not recognize downloaded games as "installed" workaround"

by TheMarshyBear

Original Post

Accepted Solution

PLEASE MODS PIN THIS - "Origin does not recognize downloaded games as "installed" workaround"

★★★★ Apprentice

When I first got The Sims 4 Create A Sim Demo I have run into an interesting problem that I now see pop up EVERYWHERE lately, which is good since this isn't unique and the guys working on it can do something about it.

The issue is as follows

You download a game but once it finishes downloading Origin lets you "Install" the game instead of "Playing" it.

Clicking on Install does not do anything but just "hang" on Installing it.

THE CAUSE

There IS a cause, and it is registry. For whatever reason, this issue only applies to non-installer gamers (i.e newer games, if you download SIms 3, you won't have this issue, I've had the exact same issue with Wing Commander, Sims 4, Sims 4 CAS, and Sim City)

HOW TO FIX IT

There is a fix to this, but it involves doing something rather risky. You're on your own

Typically, the developers/mods do not recommend this but in this case this is the only way.

Origin simply does not recognize games as being installed because these games are somehow missing key entries in the registry.

There is a quick workaround.

1. Open RegEdit

2. Make a backup of your RegEdit before editing

3. Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SOFTWARE \ Wow6432Node \ (developer) \ (game name)

i.e HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SOFTWARE \ Wow6432Node \ Maxis \ The Sims 4 Create A Sim Demo

You will notice that this "folder" in the case of Sims 4 CAS has only (Default) and GDFBinary String Keys. It's missing an important keystring that fools Origin into thinking a game isn't installed

Using the demo as exampel, right click on the "The Sims 4 Create A Sim Demo" folder, and create new String Value

Name it "Install Dir"

and add Data as the same path GDFBinary is, but remoev the "dll" part. Ideally in my case it ends up

C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\The Sims 4 Create A Sim Demo\

If the GDF dll file is in another folder (in my case in pre-loaded Sims 4, under __Installer\GDFBinary.dll

then just remove the subfolder so it ends up

C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\The Sims 4\ as the Install Dir for The Sims 4

This worked for SimCity, The Sims 4 (kind of) and The CAS demo

THERE IS A SMALLER ISSUE

You might need to do this everytime you boot up Origin, my CAS demo remains greyed out when it knows the game is installed. Simply empty/cut the data for Install Dir, hover over the game, it will once again let you "Install" it. double click it, it won't do anything as always, now paste back the data and you should now have the Play button again.

Enjoy the game.

Message 1 of 16 (6,876 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: PLEASE MODS PIN THIS - "Origin does not recognize downloaded games as "installed"

EA Staff

Thanks for the post and this is indeed a great workaround for advanced users, but we will not be able to sticky this as other simpler workarounds do exist as well (for example: running as Admin, enabling UAC or setting it to notify).

But thanks again for the post!

View in thread

Message 2 of 16 (7,123 Views)

All Replies

Re: PLEASE MODS PIN THIS - "Origin does not recognize downloaded games as "installed"

EA Staff

Thanks for the post and this is indeed a great workaround for advanced users, but we will not be able to sticky this as other simpler workarounds do exist as well (for example: running as Admin, enabling UAC or setting it to notify).

Message 2 of 16 (7,124 Views)

Community Manager (retired)
I added your post in the [Read First] sticky, but I made sure to put Kristi's simpler fixes before yours, as well as added a disclaimer.

Rummaging in your registry can cause severe issues and should only be undertaken as last resort. Standard smile
If this message helped you, please give it a bit of XP! Click the XP button at the bottom right of this post.
If it answered your question, click "Accept as solution". Thanks!
Message 3 of 16 (6,764 Views)

Re: PLEASE MODS PIN THIS - "Origin does not recognize downloaded games as &

[ Edited ]
★★★ Newbie

@EA_Kristi wrote:

Run as admin did not fit the problem. Where do I find these other maybe-fixes?

Message 4 of 16 (4,702 Views)

★★★ Novice

I cant for the life of me find  Wow6432Node

Message 5 of 16 (4,654 Views)

★★★ Newbie

I had the exact same problem: repeat install button that never completes for Sims 4.  I followed all adviser steps until the 4th adviser suggested format or system restore.  But that's another story.

This worked perfectly the first try.  

I added one string to the registry and could finally click play.  Truly great workaround.  Now how about an Origin patch?

Thanks.

Message 6 of 16 (4,522 Views)

★★★ Newbie

I have dragon age inquisition, but it doesn't show up in the Bioware folder, any ideas of where you can find this so you can fix it?

Message 7 of 16 (4,326 Views)

★ Novice

Actually I'm having the same issue with The Sims 3 but only some of the expansion packs, like Pets, Supernatural, Seasons, and University Life.  They say they installed, but Origin doesn't have the play option, only the install option and there is no shortcut on my desktop, so it's not just The Sims 4 that has this issue.  This stinks, when you can't play a game you've #1 played previously on your computer and #2 you've paid for it. 

Message 8 of 16 (4,163 Views)

★★★ Newbie

for me.....sims3 does this sims4 works fine, its an installer problem and no longer being worked on.

Message 9 of 16 (4,079 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Hey,

I am having a similar issue to this with 'Titanfall'. I actually bought the set of disks and went about installing it via the disk drive on this laptop. It started out getting me to setup origin and creating a username/account to use. Then it says on the installation instructions that there should be a desktop icon to execute the game or within the games folder. I am using windows 8. Unfortunately it doesn't show up. Next I assumed that perhaps I have to get it running within my origin account and so I entered my product activation code I found on the card with the instructions for installation into 'redeem product code'. And so this is supposed to unlock some digital download for the game or in game content. The download is monstrously long and I am having doubts if it is the next step in the installation process. If anything I thought I should use 'add a game' but then there is no valid file type to add as there is no executable icons for the game. Since this is a disc I thought the installation process would be relatively short and easy. 

Please let me know what I should do.

Message 10 of 16 (3,783 Views)