Re: OriginThinSetup Won't Install

by EA_Darko

Original Post

OriginThinSetup Won't Install

★ Novice

I'd downloaded OriginThinSetup.exe for Windows from the Origin downloads page. When I run the installer, it pops up with the Origin instillation mini window. After the progress bar completes, the window disappears. In Task Manager, the program switches from active Apps to a Background Process, not doing anything. When I End Task and attempt to run OriginThinSetup.exe again, it does not pop up the install window, and instead opens OriginThinSetup.exe and OriginThinSetupInternal.exe in the Background Processes, again not appearing to do anything. When I restart the computer and attempt to run OriginThinSetup.exe, it will open the installing window, but will disappear once the progress bar fills and switch to a Background Process. On and on, ad infinitum.

I have:

• Deleted the Origin cache (App Data, Program Data)
  • Deleted all Origin files I could find and the installer and re-downloaded the installer
  • Deleted all Origin files I could find and the installer, attempted a Clean Boot, and downloaded the installer on a Clean Boot
  • Added OriginThinSetup.exe and OriginThinSetupInternal.exe to Windows Firewall exceptions
  • Added a number of ports to Windows Firewall exceptions
  • Turned off the ad blocker add-on on both Chrome and Firefox
  • Run both OriginThinSetup.exe and OriginThinSetupInternal.exe with Windows 7 and Windows Vista compatibility
  • Run both OriginThinSetup.exe and OriginThinSetupInternal.exe as Administrator

All these result in the same end result--the program in stasis in the Background Process. (Except for once, when the installing window appeared to freeze and semi-crash, the program staying in the Apps and not moving to Background Process. When End Task, it continued to behave as previously described.)

Help?

Message 1 of 10 (1,181 Views)

Community Manager

Sorry to hear that you are having issues @peltk. Can I ask you to check if Origin is running in the background and if so would you mind taking a couple of minutes to go through the following steps:

• In task manager end "Origin", "OriginWebHelperservice" and "OriginThinSetupInternal"
  • Open you Origin install folder
  • Delete the file "OriginThinSetupInternal'
  • Right click on Origin and then select "Troubleshoot compatibility"
  • Click "Try recommended settings" and then"Test the program"
  • Save the settings in the compatibility troubleshooter.
  • Origin will prompt you that you are using a compatibility setting. Click continue.
  • Once done launch Origin

Let me know how you get on

Darko

Darko.png
Message 2 of 10 (1,147 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Novice

Previously, the OriginThinSetupInternal.exe that was running was in C:\Users\[user]\AppData\Local\Origin\ThinSetup\10.00ect. There had been no other .exe files in the folder except for OriginClientService.exe. There was nothing in C:\ProgramData\Origin\SelfUpdate\Staged. However, this morning, C:\ProgramData\Origin\SelfUpdate\Staged was full of files, including Origin.exe and a couple other .exes. (I can only assume that one of the many attempts to install the proper files somehow partially worked overnight.) Nothing was running in the Task Manager, so I ran compatibility on Origin.exe and ran as administrator. It prompted that Origin needed to be updated. Once the update finished installing, it prompted for another update, to either "Update Automatically", "Download the Current Update", or "Don't Update and Play Offline". The application appeared to freeze, as the options could be highlighted, but not selected. The window would not close with the X button, so I closed it in Task Manager. Back in the C:\ProgramData\Origin\etc file, OriginThinSetupInternal.exe had appeared (along with several new files and a couple .exes), so I deleted it and ran Origin.exe again. A window popup appeared "Origin installation requires an internet connection, but we were unable to connect to the internet. etc". (I am, obviously, connected to the internet.) Restarted the computer, attempted to run Origin.exe, same internet connection failure message.

(There is an Origin folder in C:\ProgramData, C:\Users\[user]\AppData\Local, and C:\Users\[user]\AppData\Roaming, but not in C:\Program Files or C:\Program Files (x86). There is no Origin program listed in Control Panel\Programs\Programs and Features.)

Message 3 of 10 (1,130 Views)

★ Novice

I am having the same problem.  Have tried every suggestion I can find on EA forums. No help.

Message 4 of 10 (990 Views)

★ Novice

Any solution Darko?

Message 5 of 10 (988 Views)

★ Novice

I have never had this much trouble with a game.  Pretty frustrating.

Message 6 of 10 (970 Views)

★ Novice

Hey! So, good news and bad news. Mostly bad news. I'm 90% certain the Origin launcher has a hiccup of coding or something that eventually * up the program given enough time/log ins/updates/something. This problem appears prevalent and consistent given how far back in the Q&A I went digging when first trying to fix the problem.

I eventually factory reset my laptop (for a different reason) and downloaded a fresh Origin launcher on, essentially, a fresh machine. Everything went smooth and beautiful, as a download should download and a launcher should launch. Full disclosure, I haven't attempted to download and play any games off the launcher yet, but everything else appears in order.

So. I can say that everything I tried pre-factory reset did not work, and I tried a hell of a lot. I know wiping is drastic and incredibly unappealing, but it's the only thing that seemed to clear the suspected corrupted code. If there's a way to thoroughly delete all Origin data off your computer, akin to a factory reset, without actually wiping, that'll be how to fix the issue without resorting to drastic measures.

Sorry you're having this problem. It's incredibly frustrating. And apologies I can't be of more help.

Message 7 of 10 (951 Views)

★ Novice

Thanks for the reply.  Yes its crazy I can not fix this. I know my way around computers pretty well. Enough to be confident in doing some deep scrubbing. No dice though.  I actually am glad to hear you did a clean install of windows and it worked for you . I need to upgrade my hard drive, so that is what I was probably going to do also. I find it hard to believe that EA has no clue how to fix this issue.  Thanks again for sharing your current status with this issue.

Message 8 of 10 (905 Views)

★★★ Newbie
@JmanCypress me too and EVERYTHING does not help
Message 9 of 10 (536 Views)

Community Manager

Hey @poisonspr00, I'm going to lock this thread as it is quite old.

If having an issue then please create a new thread with as much information as possible.

Darko 

Darko.png
Message 10 of 10 (520 Views)