Re: Origin wont update...again!

by sararies1972

Original Post

Origin wont update...again!

★ Apprentice

I thought the solution to my recent origin problem was solved, but unfortunately it isn't, when I safe cleaned my pc to allow origin to update, it did however updated fine, but today when I turned on my pc again to play my sims 4, origin had to update yet again, but because I turned off auto updates, it gave me 3 options, 1 to turn on auto updates to get regular updates, 2 to update origin without turning on auto updates and 3 to just continue offline without updating, well I chose to update origin without turning on auto updates, but once it started updating, eventually it came up with the message I had recently and that the installer encountered a problem, I don't wish to safe clean my pc every time origin needs updating, so I want this origin 9:0 problem sorted out ASAP, as I might have to safe clean my pc again now so I can log into origin online, could you please get this sorted, I don't wanna safe clean my pc every time I log onto origin

Message 1 of 8 (456 Views)

★ Apprentice

Why aint anyone replying to my new message?? I had to clean boot my pc in order for origin to update, I cant keep clean booting my pc each time origin needs an update or each time I wanna sign into origin to play my sims 4, PLEASE FIX ORIGINS UPDATE PROBLEM FOR WINDOWS 10, which is what I have, the last time I sent a message I got a reply almost straight away, but this time, it's been a day and NO REPLY, I'm actually replying to my own message so someone can see this and help me in any way possible, so please read my last message (ABOVE) as well as this message and tell me what I can do with origin that wont update properly unless I clean boot it & I don't wanna keep clean booting it, it'll only allow me to sign in offline, but in doing that I cant go on the sims 4 community

Message 2 of 8 (419 Views)

★★ Pro

@sararies1972 

If a clean boot fixes your problem then there is a program conflicting with your Origin as they are turned off during clean boot but will be back after restarting your computer to normal. In most cases this is a firewall and/or anti-virus/malware program like Norton/Malware bytes/McAfee/Avast/etc. 

Please check if you have any of those or others and see if you can update if you disable them temporarily. If so you might want to add Origin.exe and the Sims4.exe to the exception list. 

Message 3 of 8 (410 Views)

★ Apprentice

I do have McAfee on my pc but because this is a new pc the trial period that was given to us has expired & it tends to pop up now and then telling us to buy so it can help protect our computer, but we never do, we just cross it off because of it's expense, as for the firewall, I don't know how to add origin and the sims 4 to it's exception list, where do I go to find the list? I have a hp computer and windows 10

Message 4 of 8 (406 Views)

★★ Pro

@sararies1972

It's hard to say which of them blocks your stuff. I'd google into McAfee and see if you can disable it temporarily to see if it has any effect (trial or not). 

Message 5 of 8 (400 Views)

★ Apprentice

Ok i'll see what I can do then, I just hope EA is still looking into this and will figure out why this happens, i'm sure i'm not the only person this happens to, cos origin updated fine when I first got this pc and it updated fine well after the McAfee trial finished, right up until ORIGIN'S RECENT UPDATE, since then I've had nothing but trouble, but i'll look into googleing McAfee and see if I can temporarily disable it

Message 6 of 8 (397 Views)

@sararies1972 this is true for all the antivirus software that has a free version. Once the trial version would expire, the software will work as the free version (the trial version is to check the features on the paid software). The free version usually has fewer features than the paid one, but it does update, allow scans and blocks and a rather a good bunch of other security features. So, you will need to add the installation folder into the exclusions list. That feature should be somewhere in the settings/options area.

I do not work for EA and i am not associated with the company in any way. I am a player just like you, trying to help wherever i can.I will not answer to any unsolicited PM.

Message 7 of 8 (395 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Pro

@sararies1972

You definitely aren't alone and I bet they are up to date about the issue.

Hope the next patch doesn't have these issues and addresses them better. Till then we'll have to do with the workarounds. 

Message 8 of 8 (392 Views)