Origin won't open, but listed as running in task manager, Windows 10?

by anjibun

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Origin won't open, but listed as running in task manager, Windows 10?

★★★ Newbie

For a while, I've been having a problem where Origin would only open after restarting my laptop, but since the other day it just won't open at all. When I check task manager, it is listed as running, but nothing pops up in my taskbar or on the monitor. I tried changing screen resolutions, re-installing it [which it only did if I ran the installer in compatibility mode], turning off my firewall, and running Origin itself in compatibility mode to no avail. It's been about 4 days now since this has been happening and I'd really like some help. Thank you!

Message 1 of 5 (5,618 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: Origin won't open, but listed as running in task manager, Windows 10?

Community Manager

@anjibun  Hi, 

First off, please download the Origin installation file from here: https://www.origin.com/download

Next, please navigate to your download folder and right click the "OriginThinSetup.exe" file and choose "Run As Administrator".

If that still does not work, and the installation fails, please follow the below steps in exact order:

1. Manually uninstall Origin.
  2. Run CCleaner.
  3. Restart your router/modem and do a Clean Boot.
  4. Make sure that your UAC is enabled and set to notify.
  5. Download the latest version of Origin and install the client - make sure to run the setup file with administrator rights.
  6. Add firewall/antivirus exceptions for Origin and open the needed ports.
  7. When starting Origin, please make sure to run it as Administrator.

Let us know how you get on afterwards.

Cheers,

Nils

View in thread

Message 2 of 5 (5,980 Views)

All Replies

Community Manager

@anjibun  Hi, 

First off, please download the Origin installation file from here: https://www.origin.com/download

Next, please navigate to your download folder and right click the "OriginThinSetup.exe" file and choose "Run As Administrator".

If that still does not work, and the installation fails, please follow the below steps in exact order:

1. Manually uninstall Origin.
  2. Run CCleaner.
  3. Restart your router/modem and do a Clean Boot.
  4. Make sure that your UAC is enabled and set to notify.
  5. Download the latest version of Origin and install the client - make sure to run the setup file with administrator rights.
  6. Add firewall/antivirus exceptions for Origin and open the needed ports.
  7. When starting Origin, please make sure to run it as Administrator.

Let us know how you get on afterwards.

Cheers,

Nils

Message 2 of 5 (5,981 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Newbie

When it seemed as though it was reinstalling perfectly fine, at the end it told me I needed to be connected to the internet, even though I am, to finish the update. Now it's back to the start, and Origin's only running in task manager again. Is there anyway to finish the update now? Sorry for the inconvenience.

Nevermind, I was able to get it to work! Thank you!

Message 3 of 5 (5,598 Views)

★★★ Newbie

hi im having the same issues as you. 

to ea i already uninstalled origin and its no longer in my pc

the installer appears in my task manager but nth is happening. 

Message 4 of 5 (3,199 Views)

★★★★★ Newbie

Hi there,

I am having the same issues and cannot reinstall origin. I tried uninstalling it and reinstalling it and now it won't even reinstall. I also cleared all the data apart from local data so I don't loose any saves, and it did not work. I have restarted the modem/router, checked the firewall settings, followed your instructions for the UAC and still nothing. So now not only can I not access Origin but I can't even install it! 

Please help, I just want to be able to play my games!

Thank you!

Message 5 of 5 (2,213 Views)