Re: Origin won't download spore creepy and cute expansion

by msgtfrank

Original Post

★★★ Newbie

Hey @fuglehuset,

Maybe you've already solved it, but for all who are looking to this that didn't, the best choice is to contact EA support directly. The text chat option is enough, and usually it just takes a swift kick in the pants on their side to get the content to download. After contacting them and telling them that I tried most everything, they accessed my account and did.. something, and it downloaded just fine. Have your security answer prepared as well.

Before you do that, try these steps just in case it's something wonky.

These should rule out any issues on your end! Hope this helps someone.

Message 11 of 15 (1,543 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Novice

Basically nothing worked and they said they couldn't do the one thing I asked them to to help me which was remove it from my account and add it back to see if that would work. Over 8 hours of trying to get this * to work and waiting on tech support for them to tell me the game isn't supported even though EA is STILL SELLING IT ALL ON THE STORE.

Message 12 of 15 (1,086 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Novice

I'm replying here because this is the best thread that comes up on search engines.
I swear like a sailor, but I don't want this post removed, so you can imagine what I really mean.

I spent all day with tech support in chat and waited hours for them to call me after chat was unavailable.

1. Even with my script and ad blockers turned off I could not successfully resume a ticket. I had to keep creating tickets and putting the case number in the subject. WTF.

2. I owned Creepy & Cute Parts Pack. It was probably migrated from the disk version if there was one. My main spore install certainly was.

3. The origin client, website, and sporepedia said I owned Creepy & Cute.

4. I gave phone support access to my account. They confirmed I owned Creepy & Cute and could not download it on their machine either.

5. Everyone agreed that I owned Creepy & Cute. I hope I'm being clear because of what comes next. I have owned Creepy & Cute since it was released.

During my troubleshooting I came across and oddity. I used my web browser to go to my game library on Origin.com, then selected Spore, then selected Extra Content, and then I clicked "Play On Origin" in the Creepy & Cute section. I was instantly asked for an activation key. No problem, I had my old key. Obviously the key had been used before when I had a hard copy of the game, and so I was denied launching from the web. I thought to myself, "Shucks, I bet there's a problem within my account, and some software between me and the download server thinks I don't own it."

By the time I was contacted by Phone support I had literally tried everything. Not only had I tried everything, I tried everything in as many different ways as I could think of. Phone support had me do some more useless things that I knew weren't going to work, but I did it anyway. Phone support told me the game wasn't supported anymore. I told them that EA is still selling the game on it's store. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

After support logged into my account and failed to download Creepy & Cute, I presented them with my last ditch idea.  I asked them to remove Creepy & Cute from my account and add it back, citing the previously mentioned behavior when I tried to launch from the web site. They told me they couldn't do that. Of course they can't. They have no autonomy. They are outsourced tech support.

So having evidence that the problem was related to my account and the message asking for key activation, I obtained a key for Creepy & Cute at very little cost. Then I went to the Origin website, navigated to and clicked "Play On Origin" on the Creepy & Cute section, entered the key, and the content immediately downloaded. Now it works fine installing and uninstalling from the Origin client itself.

It has literally been decades since tech support from any company has been able to help me solve a problem. By the time I call support, there is a real problem because I do not want to deal with people who always seem to know less about the problem than I do. Tech support ends up not being able to help with that problem because they are outsourced and working from a stupid script without an ounce of autonomy and, in this case, a bull hockey line about the game not being supported. Usually I figure out how to solve the problem myself and then tell tech support how to solve it.

My decades long streak has not been broken. I gave the tech support guys themselves a good review. They were sympathetic and nice, and did their best working with what they had been given. Thanks for wasting 10 hours of my time EA. Your tech support is on par with the rest of the software industry. Your online storefront is tied with G2A for key revocation, and I've bought more games from that marketplace than from Origin. Plus, G2A promptly gave me my money back when I had a key revoked from them even without their silly protection racket. So as of this post, Origin has actually been less reliable than the most shady key re-seller on the internet, because they gave me my money back after a couple of quick exchanges. Wow! Congrats.

TLDR: If you have migrated this content to Origin long ago, can't download it, and support can't help you in less than 30 minutes just do yourself a favor. See if it asks for an activation key when you try to launch the game from your library's Creepy & Cute content section on the Origin website. If it does, spend a tiny amount of money to get a key, launch it from a web browser, and save yourself a lot of time.

Message 13 of 15 (1,026 Views)

★★ Novice

I got the same problem.
EA / Origin want help me. The mistake is clearly on their side and they just ignore it.

Message 14 of 15 (804 Views)

★★★★★ Newbie
@Nocturnalverse God bless you. My story is just like yours! I spent hours in chat with random guys from India and not one could help me despite me owning the game. After all the time I wasted, I caved and bought a key (per your suggestion) in the name of nostalgia. You have saved my childhood. There is a reason EA has developed a terrible reputation. This is why
Message 15 of 15 (628 Views)