Re: Origin takes forever to download games

by TidalWavesLion

Original Post

Origin takes forever to download games

★★ Guide
Recently i had to format my computer after a problem and i ended up having to reinstall origin. When I tried downloading the Sims 3 it said it's take 100+ hours. Deciding that it was just a random issue i let it continue downloading and went to bed. eight hours later i woke up and looked at the download after doing some chores. The download was only at 8% Is there any way to speed this up? My computer can download Portal 2 in 30 minutes -portal 2 is around 9GB last I checked- But only gets to 8% in 8 hours. I've got great internet and when I'm downloading Sims 3 on Origin, I have nothing but Origin open. My computer can download a couple hundred MBs per second but Origin has it downloading anywhere between 12-33 KB. What gives? I read somewhere that you had to log out then back in, right click on the Origin icon then update something before speeds will pick up however, i don't get that option. can anyone help me on this issue?
Message 1 of 7 (13,392 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Novice

I'm having the same exact problem. I purchased sims 2 double delux hours ago but still haven't played it because the download hasn't gone any further than 8%. This is after I've restarted my computer several times and tried re-downloading it. I defragmented disks to clear up space (even though I had plenty for the game) and tried ending processes on the task manager but none of it seems to help. I started the download over again and it is currently at 7% and says that 16 hours remain... I'm not sure what to try next. 

Message 2 of 7 (13,284 Views)

★ Novice

I searched on other forums and have found that this problem is happening to a lot of people: http://forum.ea.com/eaforum/posts/list/7490959.page

Message 3 of 7 (13,281 Views)

★★ Guide
After 7 weeks of messaging EA and getting little to no help, they said that someone would get back to me. However after waiting two ADDITIONAL weeks I still received no help. I ended up solving the issue myself. What happened was that I was waiting to build a new computer and I ended up getting the parts I needed to finish building the computer. Once I finished the computer and installed origin, it worked. However an issue still remains. After re-downloading Portal 2 (9 GB is size) it took about 20-25 minutes. Not a significant raise in download speed I know. However it took between 1 hour and 30 minutes to 2 hours to re-download The Sims 3 (which is about 6 GB) onto my new computer. I have a very sneaking suspicion that EA's up to something shady. like throttling the speeds or something.
Message 4 of 7 (13,270 Views)

★★★ Newbie

I downloaded the game, it was at 99% and went back to **bleep** 75% after like 4 days waiting.

Message 5 of 7 (11,173 Views)

★ Novice

same problem here but the weird thing is when I tried installing it on my mother's macbook pro it only took me about 5 minutes to download the sims3 and all extension packs and now on my macbook air it takes forever.

Message 6 of 7 (10,990 Views)

★★★ Newbie

this was happening to me but after a certian point it worked fine

Message 7 of 7 (5,942 Views)