Re: Origin saying my files are "read only"

by JoyWasTaketh

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Origin saying my files are "read only"

[ Edited ]
★★ Novice

Hello! Ive been having a problem ever since i got new drive. I downloaded all my steam games perfectly, whch i wasnt able to do on my last drive, but i was let to download sims on my old drive, but now its the opposite. I can download origin but when i pick the save file location in the drive, it says all the files are read only even though they arent. Ive unticked the box, used command prompt, reinstalled origin, made new files, and unplugged the drive in and out restarting it. Nothing seems to be working and im really losing hope. If anyone can help. thanks in advance. I showed the picture files how i have added stuff and removed stuff from the "read only" files but still wont work. By the way, i also changed the permissions and all that jazz still nothing. Do I have to give origin permission to be able to read AND write folders in the drive?

Message 1 of 9 (55,859 Views)

Accepted Solution

★★ Novice

I actually went to two computer people at bestbuy and another one, and they couldn't fix it. I went home and did more digging and fixed it. It was a issue with the drive not recognizing me as a admin. Thank you for helping but I have fixed it!

View in thread

Message 4 of 9 (56,074 Views)

All Replies

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Guide

that sound like the windows folder option, that allow programs to actual access its folders, this was change in a MS opdate and you should have chosen allow. let me see if i can find it in my options and explan it with a syntax.

im not sure if it is that, issue here, but program need access or they will be blocked.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4046851/windows-10-controlled-folder-access-windows-defende...

Allow a blocked app in Windows Defender Security Center
Use controlled folder access

Controlled folder access in Windows Defender Security Center reviews the apps that can make changes to files in protected folders. Occasionally, an app that is safe to use will be identified as harmful. This happens because Microsoft wants to keep you safe and will sometimes err on the side of caution; however, this might interfere with how you normally use your PC. You can add an app to the list of safe or allowed apps to prevent them from being blocked.

• Select Start  > Settings .
  • Choose Update & security  > Windows Defender.
  • Select Open Windows Defender Security Center.
  • Select Virus & threat protection, and then choose Virus & threat protection settings.
  • Under Controlled folder access, turn it on or off.
Message 2 of 9 (55,804 Views)

Community Manager

@CubeyBeauty Open your Users folder and in there, you will see a documents folder, right click and in from properties remove the tick from the read-only option. 

Darko.png
Message 3 of 9 (55,734 Views)

★★ Novice

I actually went to two computer people at bestbuy and another one, and they couldn't fix it. I went home and did more digging and fixed it. It was a issue with the drive not recognizing me as a admin. Thank you for helping but I have fixed it!

Message 4 of 9 (56,075 Views)

Community Manager

@CubeyBeauty Great to hear, enjoy your gaming. 

Darko.png
Message 5 of 9 (55,693 Views)

★★★ Newbie

how did you fix it i cant seem to figure it out 

Message 6 of 9 (43,341 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Can't even open controlled folder access

Message 7 of 9 (33,423 Views)

★★★★ Novice

My solution for everyone after half an hour of wasting my time with the hard drive:

Just close the origin app, and run as administrator (like from the desktop shortcut). This solved it for me.

Message 8 of 9 (19,875 Views)

Community Manager

Hey @InhalationStift,thanks for sharing the fix that worked for you.

Darko

Darko.png
Message 9 of 9 (19,834 Views)