Re: Origin removing files from HDD instead of recognising games

by EA_Nils

Original Post

Origin removing files from HDD instead of recognising games

★★★ Newbie

I've recently built a new PC in sight of moving, and previously had several EA Origin games installed on a couple of external HDDs on a previous PC. On this new PC I've been trying to get Origin to recognise the installed games, but on certain games I found an issue has arisen with the service.

When I've told Origin to install the selected game to the drive where I had previously had all the files, the size (and I'm assuming the contents) of the folder have been drastically reduced. I've had no problems relocating the files and having Origin recognise them on my previous machine, so I am puzzled as to why this has happened now.

I've included a screenshot of the folder properties for one of these games before I attempted to install alongside the progress dialog box once I've told Origin to download it. As you can probably tell in the picture I've moved into an area that has pretty absurdly poor connection speeds, so having these files magically disappear is a pain in the arse.

Message 1 of 2 (117 Views)

Re: Origin removing files from HDD instead of recognising games

Community Manager

@AlphaZulu118 Hi there,

The size differential will likely just have to do with certain updates that would be installed after you finished the installation.

What I am more curious about though is that the game doesn't recognize your existing installation. This should not be the case.

What should happen instead is that it would detect the folder if you appointed it to the same one via the Origin application settings and then validate each file in it. This would look like a download visually, but as you would see from the speed, it would go very fast without actually downloading any files from the net.

Afterwards it might download any missing files or update any files that have since been changed and fail the validation.

That said, as it hasn't been working, you could instead use the method described in the link in order to restore your games: http://help.ea.com/en/article/backing-up-and-restoring-your-origin-games/

Let us know how you get on.

Cheers,

Nils

Message 2 of 2 (99 Views)