Re: Origin not saving his settings!

[ Edited ]
★ Apprentice

Still not fixed.

Message 11 of 33 (1,416 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hi everyone

For a fact, I know origin client dev team is working on it. I have the same problem and @Straatford87 asked me to send him a full origin client error log to send to the dev team.

Message 12 of 33 (1,408 Views)

[ Edited ]
EA DICE Team

Hey all,

For everyone experiencing this issue, please keep posting the ID #'s of your Origin Error Report in this thread.

Message 13 of 33 (1,400 Views)

★★ Novice

This is what seems to happen after quitting Origin and starting it again:

1) All set off (regardless of order: ShowOrigin, ShareSystem, CloudSave)
   -> ShowOrigin ON, ShareSystem OFF, CloudSave OFF

2) others are already OFF and ShowOrigin ON > OFF
   -> ShowOrigin OFF, ShareSystem ON, CloudSave ON

3) ShowOrigin OFF, ShareSystem ON, CloudSave ON > OFF
   -> ShowOrigin ON, ShareSystem ON, CloudSave OFF

4) ShowOrigin ON > OFF, ShareSystem ON, CloudSave OFF
   -> same as 2

ALSO: "My Home" doesn't remember I have clicked on the "Got it!" button in the "Welcome to your Origin home page" if I do any above setting changes!

My Origin error report ID: 0bcbc89170117fb6

Message 14 of 33 (1,340 Views)

[ Edited ]
EA DICE Team

@mantymik

That is very helpful. Thanks for taking the time to add this!

Update:

Would like to check two things with you:

Message 15 of 33 (1,330 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Apprentice

Same problem! Win8.1x64. Fix it.

Message 16 of 33 (1,302 Views)

★★ Novice

@Straatford87:

I never run Origin as an admin but I did steps 1 and 2 with it (just for "fun" of it). No differences in behaviour there. And I'm using the latest beta at the moment. Also, I don't have any (accessing) issues mentioned in the permission faq page you linked.

Because I have procmon, I decided to look at what origin.exe is doing. It is constantly spamming registry and looking if once purchased games are installed or something as silly. After excluding a bunch of registry calls to (starting with) HKLM/System/CurrentControlSet/services, HKLM/SOFTWARE/Policies and HKCU/Software/Microsoft I found something after a while...

Because of constant registry spamming it was difficult to see what I should have been looking for (without knowing anything about Origin's inner workings), but I think I found something:

There is a SQLite database that is used at "%appdata%\Local\Origin\Origin\QtWebEngine\Default\Local Storage\https_www.origin.com_0.localstorage" that is locked, read, written (twice) and unlocked when I within a second of tracing only pressed "Show Origin after gameplay" setting ON to OFF. (When I looked into this database, it's full of blobs. That's insane!)

For the first run it writes a 1 kB chunk three times to offsets 0, 146432 and 194560. Then it an operation called "FlushBuffersFile" (according to procmon). After that the second write run with 4 kB chunk to offsets 0, 143360 and 192512 (with flags: Non-cached, Paging I/O, Synchronous Paging I/O). If that database file is considered a setting container, a change to ONE setting shouldn't be written to THREE different offsets. If the SAME setting is in THREE locations, no wonder settings do not stay.

I've now used couple hours in troubleshooting for EA a simple setting saving mechanics. I should be compensated for it Wink

PS. I wouldn't have seen your edits to your post without a post from TITANIUM_Jackson. Mentioning me in the post doesn't let me know about edits. Maybe you should talk with forum devs. Standard smile

Message 17 of 33 (1,292 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Apprentice

Same here, still not fixed. After restarting Origin, sometimes it's the "Show origin after gameplay" that resets to on. Sometimes the "show system interaction data" that resets to on.

I like how the "bugs" that spy on you the most don't get fixed by EA.

Message 18 of 33 (1,282 Views)

EA DICE Team

@mantymik

Thank's a lot for taking the time to run some tests, and to write this up. This information should be highly helpful to the Origin team - I've passed it on for you.

In the meantime, I'll also check up on notification and edits on the forum, as normally you should be notified about those.

Thanks again,

Message 19 of 33 (1,264 Views)

★ Novice

Allow Origin through Firewall. This works for me.

Message 20 of 33 (1,239 Views)