Re: Origin needs my permission

by x_KCom_x

Original Post

Origin needs my permission

★ Apprentice

I've had this problem for over 2 months, and nothing (literally nothing) has been able to make any sort of change in the issue. It doesn't get any better, or any worse. Every time I install Origin, I set it up and it goes to my C: drive and everything. Then, it takes about 45 seconds to open up the login screen. So, I log in. then, after another 45 seconds, it actually opens. So, I go to install my game (Battlefield 4). I click the bright orange download button, and instantly I get an error saying that the folder does not exist. So, I create a folder for my game to go into (I've tried creating one in every location available). Then, I click the orange download button again. This time, it does nothing for about a minute, and then it says "preparing" for another minute. After that, I get an error that says Origin need my permission to download these files and it says that windows will prompt me to say yes, only it doesn't. I've tried every setting on the UAC, and reinstalling for each setting. I've tried running it normally, and as administrator. I've talked to many EA tech supports but none of them have been able to solve the issue, so they told me to come here for more experienced people to help me out. I've tried giving myself permission. I've tried creating a new Administrator account, and reinstalling it in that. I've tried reinstalling Windows 10 completely. I've tried starting Windows 10 in safe mode with networking. I've tried the "safe downloading" mode on Origin. I've tried making Origin an exception in any firewall/antivirus. I've completely uninstalled all my antivirus programs. I've tried uninstalling Origin "the hard way". I've tried clearing the Origin cache. I've tried a clean boot. I've tried the "takeown" command in the cmd. I've tried more things that I can't really remember, they must have been just minor attempts. This only happens with Origin. Uplay works perfectly fine, the Epic Games launcher works great, Battlenet works fine, and Steam of course has no issues whatsoever. So I'm fairly certain that it's not some sort of virus. If anyone has had this issue and fixed it in a way not listed on this post, I would really appreciate it if you shared it with me. Also, it's not just BF4 that isn't working. Any other game on my account does the exact same thing. Also unfortunately I cannot attach files to posts on this website, the "Choose file" button has mysteriously disappeared. Also, I've tried making sure that none of the necessary files are set to "read only".

Message 1 of 3 (292 Views)

Community Manager

@x_KCom_x Do you have another directory you can install Origin to to test if it works then? 

Looking at the steps you have tried and the only thing I would wonder is if in fact that path you are selecting to install is read-only, I know you said you tried to ensure that it was not but can you double check that they are not read only. 

Darko.png
Message 2 of 3 (271 Views)

★ Apprentice

How exactly do I make sure that a directory is not read only? 

Message 3 of 3 (251 Views)