Origin keeps telling me my account is in use by another computer

by HeWhomLurks

Original Post

Re: Origin keeps telling me my account is in use by another computer

★★★ Newbie

In my exeperience, the Origin client uses this message as a 'go to' message whenever there's a problem with your network.

To test this for yourself, try opening the Origin client, at the top it should show you're logged on, unplug or disable your network card, then plug it back in or enable it, if the same message shows, there's your answer. It doesn't mean your account isn't being used elsewhere, rather that Origin couldn't be bothered to come up with a better message for 'Your Origin account is currently offline'.

Message 11 of 23 (57,040 Views)

★★ Novice

This is actually a bug,sometime happen after a new patch.

Gamer only using one computer to log in also get this message,after changing the password,issues disappear,but for some gamers,the message resurface after a few days again.

I think what you do is more than enough,but make sure you log out properly everytime,

because Origin didn't detect your last logout/shutdown correctly, and therefore thinks you're still online.

Hope this helps

Message 12 of 23 (56,881 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Just a thought here. I believe the Origin servers keep track (Locally) of the ip address state of your computer or (Publically) the ip address of the router you are connected to when you run the Origin client. If your IP address renews on either your router or your computer, it may cause the client and/or server to throw an error. especialy if your computer went to sleep while you were logged into the client, and woke up to a different IP address. Its kinda like going to bed with someone really hot, and waking up with a zombie; can ya blame anyone for freaking out a little bit under those circumstances? I think not. If the client is really browser based, it could be looking for Browser state. If your browser state changed, say... due to an update, that may (Long Shot) cause that to happen as well.

I can take my computer onto another network after being attached my own network, and not only will my SWTOR launcher think I am using another brower and ask me to authenticate again (Everytime), so too will my Orgin Client.

Just a thought; and a slightly inebriated one at that.

Message 13 of 23 (56,812 Views)

★★★ Newbie

I have the answer. Most likely, Origin is running as a background program. Try restarting your computer and Origin should work fine.

Message 14 of 23 (54,815 Views)

★★★ Newbie

I think you might be onto it there with the whole IP thing.

I use a VPN occasionally and it seems to happen to me if i log into my VPN.

Obviously origin then registers the change in IP but I am not logged out on my "other" one.

Nothing malicous has every happened to me so I think it is just a case of an IP change without logging out of origin.

Let me know if this is ringing a bell with anyone....

Message 15 of 23 (51,073 Views)

EA DICE Team

@Spartaxus

This is most likely what is happening and a great explanation.. Standard smile

Since the other posts in this topic are years old, I will mark your post as a solution as the other statements are mostly not relevant anymore.

Message 16 of 23 (51,056 Views)

★★ Novice

Ohh thank god thought someone stole my account haha and mine is a hard password.

Message 17 of 23 (49,937 Views)

EA DICE Team

@FizzWarPro

I double-checked for you and it seems that your account is safe! :eahigh_file:

Message 18 of 23 (49,915 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Sorry but can you check mine as well? I'm having the same issue Frown

Message 19 of 23 (48,995 Views)

★★★ Expert

@protozerox Have you changed your password?

Also please read Keeping your Account Secure.

Enable authentication, it really does help keep your account secure.

IF the message repeats after changing your password and, enabling authentication, it is most likely a system glitch. That can sometimes be stopped by resetting your internet connection but, please change your password and enable authentication first. We don't want to see anyone get hacked.

Message 20 of 23 (48,986 Views)