Origin isn't not designed to run on Windows or has an error?

by angelicaschuyler

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Origin isn't not designed to run on Windows or has an error?

★ Novice
Every time I try to open Origin I get this message. It just started happening last night and I don't know why. I redownloaded it and cleared the cache and tried to run as administrator but nothing is working. How do I fix this? :-(
Message 1 of 11 (4,997 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: Origin isn't not designed to run on Windows or has an error?

[ Edited ]
★★★ Expert

Okay, that is a missing or damage VC++ Runtime file that Origin needs. Might be the file from any one of the VC++ Origin uses so, you should download and install ALL of the VC++ files. Visual C++ Downloads.

If that does not work Manually Uninstall Origin.

Uninstall ALL VC++ files on your computer via Control Panel > Uninstall A Program.

Download Origin Here.

Locate the installer file, it's called "OriginThinSetup.exe"

Right click that file and choose Run As Administrator.

When the pop ups ask to install VC++, okay that and allow Origin to install the Runtime files it needs for you.

View in thread

Message 4 of 11 (5,145 Views)

All Replies

★★★ Expert

The image did not post. We do need the exact error, even if you need to type it in your native language, it will help us understand what is wrong.

Message 2 of 11 (4,958 Views)

★ Novice
It says "C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\MSVCR120.dll is either not designed to run on windows or it contains an error. Try installing the program again using the original media or contact your system administrator or the software vendor for support. Error status 0xc000012f"
Message 3 of 11 (4,948 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Expert

Okay, that is a missing or damage VC++ Runtime file that Origin needs. Might be the file from any one of the VC++ Origin uses so, you should download and install ALL of the VC++ files. Visual C++ Downloads.

If that does not work Manually Uninstall Origin.

Uninstall ALL VC++ files on your computer via Control Panel > Uninstall A Program.

Download Origin Here.

Locate the installer file, it's called "OriginThinSetup.exe"

Right click that file and choose Run As Administrator.

When the pop ups ask to install VC++, okay that and allow Origin to install the Runtime files it needs for you.

Message 4 of 11 (5,146 Views)

★ Novice

This worked! Thank you so much Standard smile

Message 5 of 11 (4,906 Views)

★ Novice

Also worked for me!

Message 6 of 11 (4,261 Views)

★ Novice

Bro do I have to download all the vc files?

Message 7 of 11 (2,676 Views)

@padrilava Depends. If you are playing older games, you may want to have all the VC Redist on your PC (both x86 anx x64, where they are available). Otherwise, the Visual Studio 2015, 2017 and 2019 packs (x86 and x64) should be enough.

For example, i play a lot of old games (aside of the new ones). So i have each VC Redist installed, along with Direct X (from 9 to the latest), .Net Framework (the older version can be enabled through Windows Settings in the Legacy area) and Direct Draw (same as .Net Framework). But again, i play a lot of oldies which require all those things). But if you play only newer games, VC Redist 2015 - 2019 packs are enough. The drawback of having only the newest VC Redist is that you can't install the older ones.

To be able to install older VC Redist (some games require specific VC Redist packs and won't recognize the newer ones) you will have to uninstall the newest VC Redist and install the needed packs + the latest packs. I prefer to be a masochist and suffer once, installing everything i need and forget convenientely about their existence until new versions are released. It may look scary, but it's mostly a boring, time eating installation. But, you are doing it once. You will probably repeat it only if you reinstall the Windows. 

I do not work for EA and i am not associated with the company in any way. I am a player just like you, trying to help wherever i can.I will not answer to any unsolicited PM.

Message 8 of 11 (2,667 Views)

★ Novice

Thank you so much bro for such a detailed answer, I appreciate it. May God bless you. Stay happy Standard smile

Message 9 of 11 (2,625 Views)

★★★ Newbie

This worked for me too! Even 5 years later

Message 10 of 11 (2,295 Views)