Origin has encountered a serious problem and must close.

by thelifelessone61

Original Post

Accepted Solution

★★★★★ Newbie

Have tried 

4 fresh installs of origin using both origin thin installer and offline installer.

Cleared origins cache files.

Tried origin beta.

Cleared registry of any origin links.

Running latest version of Win 10 and latest AMD Drivers

Message 1 of 17 (10,290 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: Origin has encountered a serious problem and must close.

EA DICE Team

@thelifelessone61

Can you try running your system in a clean boot?

Origin crashes can also happen when programs like an anti-virus, anti-malware or firewall block it. Please also check your system for any such programs to make sure that Origin is allowed.

View in thread

Message 2 of 17 (12,375 Views)

All Replies

EA DICE Team

@thelifelessone61

Can you try running your system in a clean boot?

Origin crashes can also happen when programs like an anti-virus, anti-malware or firewall block it. Please also check your system for any such programs to make sure that Origin is allowed.

Message 2 of 17 (12,376 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

if it worked fine up until the latest update (like myself)

- run the origin client in compatibility mode (I ran it as win8 and admin)

- had me frustrated for quite a few hours

Message 3 of 17 (10,186 Views)

★★★★★ Newbie

Managed to work it out. I had installed fraps forgetting that origin doesn't work with it.
Thanks for the help though.

Message 4 of 17 (10,167 Views)

EA DICE Team

@thelifelessone61

Thank you for updating us with you resolution.

For any other players encountering a similar issue, we've setup an article detailing which programs can conflict with Origin:

https://help.ea.com/en/article/programs-that-may-cause-conflicts-with-origin/

Message 5 of 17 (10,144 Views)

★★★ Newbie
I tried all the clean boot and re installing. Noting worked until I ran it in compatability mode like you. Thanks for the heads up
Message 6 of 17 (9,550 Views)

★★★★★ Newbie

Anyone came up with an actual cause and solution to this issue?

Read and commented so many of these threads and they all have the same 'accepted answer' even though its obviously not a solution for anyone...

Message 7 of 17 (8,460 Views)

★★ Novice

Hi there! 

I know that you may have solved your problem by now, but I would like to suggest something that did it for me. Like you, everytime I tried to download a certain game, Origin's crash followed by this message: Origin has encountered a serious problem and must close. Luckily, for me, a friend of mine was there to help me: 

1. Try downloading the game by logging in your Origin account on another computer.
  2. Download the game to this folder: C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games, and wait till it installs.
  3. Copy the files, downloaded in the folder above: C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games, to a usb flash
  4. Now, on your computer download and install Origin
  5. Find on your computer this folder, mentioned again above, C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games, and paste to it the files you copied before from the other computer via usb flash drive. 
  6. Open Origin on your computer.
  7. Go to your Game library, find the game you want to download and press Download.

This should work, considering that the Game Library Location on your computer is the same as is on Origin, meaning C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games. After, you press Download, Origin will try do download it but when it does find out that you already have your game files downloaded on your computer, it will finally install the game for you. In this occasion, the installing won't take as much time as it did the first time. So, there you go! I hope if it doesn't help you anymore, it helps someone else with the same problem. Standard smile

Message 8 of 17 (7,756 Views)

★★★ Newbie
Till having problems with origin has encountered a serious problem...will appreciate if that can be fix cause I have 300 buck of games on origin and want to play my games
Message 9 of 17 (7,631 Views)

Champion (Retired)

@holidaysins504

Please try all the suggested solutions above Standard smile

Message 10 of 17 (7,616 Views)