Re: Origin gives Blank Screen on Load or Install

by Straatford87

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Origin gives Blank Screen on Load or Install

★★ Novice

I saw that kjnv5 (and 7 others including me) had a problem with Origin.  When I go to open it, you get a blank white box.  So I decided to repost with some more detail that was not originally available.  Having the problem at loading Origin, I deleted Origin, cleared the Origin Cache and then went to reinstall it (as Administrator).   It does do something and then stops.  The ThinSetup_Log.txt file in [Users\me]\Appdata\Local\Origin\ThinSetup gets as far as 

the Event: "14252     Transitioning from ThinSetup UI controller state kDisplayStartingScreen to ThinSetup UI controller state kDisplaySplashScreen10"  which is where is appears to hang.  The Task Manager still shows OrignThinSetupInternal (32 bit) as a running application, albeit one that consumes 0% of CPU resources.

Anti-Malware softwar reports that they are not seeing anything untoward and nothing appears to have been blocked.

Anyone have any obvious ideas as to what I could try next?

Message 1 of 4 (358 Views)

Accepted Solution

★★ Novice

@Straatford87

Thanks for this.  Actually the advice to update graphics drivers had already been posted here, and I had done that, as well as disabling security solutions, but I did in fact resolve the issue, and I will post my resolution so that others who might have the same issue can benefit.

For reasons that I still cannot understand, my Windows 10 box has got it into itself to use some random proxy settings on of all things 127.0.0.1 (localhost).   Curiously, as a person who uses Win10 and a combination of Opera, Firefox and Edge for browsing, you cannot access these proxy settings that apply across Windows from any of these.  Rather if you open iexplore.com, to get Internet Explorer up, then go to Internet Options, to Connections, to LAN Settings, and then to Proxy Settings, you can see the inaccurate proxy settings and turn them off.

Suddenly, voila, Origin works fine, as do anything else that struggles with getting connections out through random proxy settings.   Very frustrating, and I am still not sure why Windows or Internet Explorer got these incorrect settings in the first place.  But if someone is having random errors proxying connections out, then this is definitely something to try.

View in thread

Message 3 of 4 (354 Views)

All Replies

EA DICE Team

@Mikalye

Hi,

Are your graphics drivers completely updated? I would also recommend to still turn off all security programs such as anti-virus or malware, when installing Origin.

If that doesn't help then here's the main thread on this issue:

http://answers.ea.com/t5/Technical-Issues/Origin-Blank-Screen/td-p/5723900

Kind regards,

Message 2 of 4 (330 Views)

★★ Novice

@Straatford87

Thanks for this.  Actually the advice to update graphics drivers had already been posted here, and I had done that, as well as disabling security solutions, but I did in fact resolve the issue, and I will post my resolution so that others who might have the same issue can benefit.

For reasons that I still cannot understand, my Windows 10 box has got it into itself to use some random proxy settings on of all things 127.0.0.1 (localhost).   Curiously, as a person who uses Win10 and a combination of Opera, Firefox and Edge for browsing, you cannot access these proxy settings that apply across Windows from any of these.  Rather if you open iexplore.com, to get Internet Explorer up, then go to Internet Options, to Connections, to LAN Settings, and then to Proxy Settings, you can see the inaccurate proxy settings and turn them off.

Suddenly, voila, Origin works fine, as do anything else that struggles with getting connections out through random proxy settings.   Very frustrating, and I am still not sure why Windows or Internet Explorer got these incorrect settings in the first place.  But if someone is having random errors proxying connections out, then this is definitely something to try.

Message 3 of 4 (355 Views)

EA DICE Team

@Mikalye

That's a great post! Thanks so much for sharing how you've managed to resolve this issue.

It's indeed curious on how those proxy settings set themselves up. I'm glad that you've figured it out and hope that you will enjoy games Standard smile

Kind regards,

Message 4 of 4 (304 Views)