Origin games won't download

by hazmatcat

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Origin games won't download

★★ Novice

so origin just updated, things werent working properly so I reinstalled origin now games i buy won't download and games i own wont' update, it just sits there saying "preparing download" forever and then i get an error message "An unexpected error has occured, please try again in a few moments: Error 196613:206" ive pretty much tried everything, turning off my firewall, running as admin, and a bunch of other things

Message 1 of 16 (34,051 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: Origin games won't download

EA Staff

Please try the steps in the order below:

1. Manually uninstall Origin
  2. Run CCleaner
  3. Restart your router/modem and do a Clean Boot
  4. Make sure that your UAC is enabled and set to notify
  5. Download the latest version of Origin and install the client - make sure to run the setup file with Admin rights
  6. Add firewall/antivirus exceptions for Origin and open the needed ports
  7. When starting Origin, please make sure to run it as Administrator

View in thread

Message 2 of 16 (34,808 Views)

All Replies

EA Staff

Please try the steps in the order below:

1. Manually uninstall Origin
  2. Run CCleaner
  3. Restart your router/modem and do a Clean Boot
  4. Make sure that your UAC is enabled and set to notify
  5. Download the latest version of Origin and install the client - make sure to run the setup file with Admin rights
  6. Add firewall/antivirus exceptions for Origin and open the needed ports
  7. When starting Origin, please make sure to run it as Administrator
Message 2 of 16 (34,809 Views)

★★ Novice

holy smokes it worked, thanks so much, i've tried so many things already i thought the only way to fix it was reinstall windows, thanks again

Message 3 of 16 (33,981 Views)

★★★ Novice
I have the same problem. I went through the steps above, but still have the problem.
Message 4 of 16 (33,950 Views)

★★★★★ Expert

fairygodess the first step, checked in Origin/Application Settings/Advanced/Safe Mod Downloading-checked Enable Safe Mod Downloading and do not forget make sure you are the administrator, run the setup file Origin with Admin rights and restart Origin.

-to run the setup file Origin with Admin rights. http://help.ea.com/en/article/how-do-i-run-a-program-or-a-game-as-an-administrator/#2

Retired champion.
Message 5 of 16 (33,942 Views)

★★★ Novice
Thank you so much!!! It's working Standard smile
Message 6 of 16 (33,936 Views)

★ Novice

I've been looking everywhere for problems to solve this. I have done this whole process several times and it's still not working. It works fine on another machine, unfortunately the game I want to play won't play on the other machine, it's too old. This machine, much newer with better specs however just won't download anything. It's worked in the past, it's just stopped now.

Are there any other things I can do? At this point I'm annoyed with myself for getting the game through Origin and not Steam.

Message 7 of 16 (33,784 Views)

★★★★★ Newbie

I tried all these steps but it doesn't work Frown 

Message 8 of 16 (33,767 Views)

★★★★★ Newbie

I've gone through the steps twice: uninstall, ccleaner, reboot, reinstall as admin, and attempt to download with safe-mod checked.

I can download other games that have not been previously installed (i.e. one I just purchased), but am still having trouble with Mass Effect.

I will add that Mass Effect originally downloaded with no problem, but now that I'm trying to reinstall on the machine is has previously run on, it keeps giving me the error every time I try.  I will try again in hopes that by throwing stuff against the wall, something will eventually stick.  

I'm beginning to wish all the of the M E trilogy was available in steam, since I've yet to have anything like this happen with that client.

Message 9 of 16 (33,648 Views)

★ Novice

Do you have any advice for a Mac user? I have been unable to download a game I just purchased for over a week now and I am getting quite frustrated.

Message 10 of 16 (33,588 Views)