Re: Origin freezes upon startup.

by notsmokin

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Origin freezes upon startup.

★★ Novice

Whenever I attempt to start Origin or interact with Origin related software (uninstallation), I get the "processing" cursor for a few seconds. aprox. 8 seconds after the cursor turns "normal", the screen freezes. There is no visible sign of Origin aside from the request for permission to "allow the following program to make changes to your computer".  At the final frozen stage, I am unable to get any reaction from my PC except by force restarting it.

I have already manually uninstalled Origin, run ccleaner, reinstalled, checked all the ports, and ran the newly installed Origin with admin rights.

Twice.

This did not work.

I have attempted this with a clean boot already.

No dice.

I cannot attempt ANY fix that involves changing any settings inside of origin because I am unable to even see the window pop up.

I have rebooted my windows 8.1 PC multiple times.

If there is any other things I can do to try to fix this, I would be grateful for your assistance, otherwise this has all been a waste of my time and money.  Thank you!

Message 1 of 13 (16,067 Views)

Accepted Solution

[ Edited ]
★★ Novice

Hey, i get the same problem 5 times, the last, i open origin (which freeze) and i go for a shower (10min) and when i came back, origin was open and functionning ! we might just have to wait few minutes...

And just before the fifth try, i install all update from windows and Nvidia. And run CCleaner and AdwCleaner. if that can help.

View in thread

Message 3 of 13 (19,287 Views)

All Replies

★ Novice

i have exactly the same problem, i've tried all those fixes as well but no luck yet.

Message 2 of 13 (16,037 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Novice

Hey, i get the same problem 5 times, the last, i open origin (which freeze) and i go for a shower (10min) and when i came back, origin was open and functionning ! we might just have to wait few minutes...

And just before the fifth try, i install all update from windows and Nvidia. And run CCleaner and AdwCleaner. if that can help.

Message 3 of 13 (19,288 Views)

Community Manager

Hi you three,

@Treelestia @flakadder Just as a test, can you try creating a new Windows user account and then install the Origin Client on that one?

To do so, download the Origin installation file from here: https://www.origin.com/download

Next, please navigate to your download folder and right click the "OriginThinSetup.exe" file and choose "Run As Administrator".

If that still does not work, and the installation fails, please follow the below steps in exact order once more. I am aware that you have done many of these steps already, but the order is important:

1. Manually uninstall Origin
  2. Run CCleaner
  3. Restart your router/modem and do a Clean Boot
  4. Make sure that your UAC is enabled and set to notify
  5. Download the latest version of Origin and install the client - make sure to run the setup file with Admin rights
  6. Add firewall/antivirus exceptions for Origin and open the needed ports
  7. When starting Origin, please make sure to run it as Administrator

Let me know how you get on afterwards.

@Mikouly66 Does the startup normalize itself again or do you have to wait for a long period every time you start up Origin?

Cheers,

Nils

Message 4 of 13 (16,002 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Novice

@ Well, Origin start quicklier now, but i have to wait 30s (only if it the first program i open) to 2 minutes.
Now, i have issues with Fifa15, sometimes, it doesn't want to start : the first fifa windows open itself, but when i click on play, nothing happen ! even in my "task gestionnary" (idk if you says so in english) i don't see any fifa15.exe ...
I usually restart my computer twice before the game start correctly.
And all those problems start at once, the last week-end.

(Sorry for my english, i'm not a natif speaker)

Have a nice day,

Mikou.

Edit : Since the last Origin Update, all work fine  to me !

Message 5 of 13 (15,993 Views)

★★ Novice

I had the same problem but your method helped. It was a bit slow on start-up and when it did start up a new window popped up, saying that my games needed to be repaired or something of the sort. It seemed to have worked out fine for me, and I've never had any experience with fixing programs this extensively.

Message 6 of 13 (15,984 Views)

★★ Novice
As it turns out, the problem isn't anything to do with it installing wrong or conflicting with software.

Whatever it is in Origin that freezes up the computer, it's SUPPOSED to do that. There is no "fix" other than waiting. Nothing in the "hero" troubleshooter's arsenal of standard tricks work because Origin is designed to hog all the resources upon startup.

What i'm saying, dear future reader, is that if you want to simply play a game that happens to have been published by EA games, then try starting up Origin the day before and hope its death grip on your PC loosens before you wake up the next morning, because that's the only thing that's worked for me.

Have fun!
Message 7 of 13 (15,974 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Fun.

Message 8 of 13 (14,668 Views)

★★★ Novice

I have tried everything shown here as well as everywhere else I could find on the internet. I spent two hours on the phone with support, sent them my msinfo, dxdiag, as well as tried a bunch of system checks etc etc and everything showed up clean, nothing wrong with my system. I have been using it on this PC since I built it maybe a year ago and have never had a problem. I didn't use my machine for  few weeks and didn't log into origin for maybe a month. I open it and it passes the login and freezes, after a mandatory update of course.

The thing is, if I disable my internet connection and start it it opens to the point I can see the menus and they drop down but clicking does nothing and if I go online it restarts and freezes again. When I first start the program I see five instances of QTWebEngineProcess.exe start with it but if I disable my nic only two instances start. I am sure this process has something to do with Origin not working, I mentioned this to support and they knew nothing about it. I even tried renaming any iterations of QTWebEngineProcess  with the prefix old and I could get Origin to start but It opens up with the explorer on the left but a white pane on the right.

The solution from support is try it on another computer, which I should have lying around of course, or reinstall Windows. Nice options guys, format my computer to play game I paid for. I have no issue with UPlay, Steam, Battlenet, Rockstar, or GoG but Origin isn't happening for me. Needless to say I don't think I'll be buying another game from EA even if I did decide to reinstall Windows anyways. They have some great offerings but I don't see much point in buying a game I can't play, I may as well throw the money out the window of my car.

Message 9 of 13 (12,068 Views)

★★★ Newbie

This one worked for me.

Uninstall / ccleaner / reboot / reinstall.

Message 10 of 13 (11,297 Views)