Re: Origin doesn't start offline

by Deadzone252

Original Post

Origin doesn't start offline

★★★★ Novice
Origin has refused to start offline since I updated it back in July. I've purchased my games well before now, they've gone through verification, origin has been on my PC long enough. I only play the sims 4, there is no way that origin or the game should not start offline after all this time.
Message 1 of 8 (8,755 Views)

[ Edited ]
Champion (Retired)

Hey there @DivineOnyx

For all I understand, Origin nowadays launches always in an online mode if there is internet access available. Generally Origin requires periodically that you auth yourself online and it honestly is preferred that you do have an online connection available. You can turn on the Offline mode manually though by launching Origin, clicking the "Origin" from the top left and choosing "Go offline".

You can still launch Origin in a "true offline" mode so to say if you really have no internet connection available, and you can play most of your games that are Singleplayer games as long as you meet the few requirements :

1. You must log in once while online. This caches your account on your machine so you can log in while offline. If you acquire a new game, change your computer or install a new OS, you'll want to log in once online to ensure your offline cache is up to date.
  2. You must launch any game you want to play once while online. This ensures the game is properly set up on that machine so it can thereafter be played in offline mode.

From that point forward, you should be able to launch Origin, and play the games, without an internet connection.

Message 2 of 8 (8,724 Views)

★★★★ Novice
Thanks for the answer I looked through PREVIOUS answers like this. None helped. This does not help.

The computer hasn't been off, has logged in online multiple times in a single day.

IT WILL NOT START OFFLINE AT ALL.
Not going offline, it will not START OFFLINE.

This is a big problem, as my internet service has been to be spotty and sometimes won't connect. But since Origin WILL NOT START IN OFFLINE, I cannot use it at all offline.
Message 3 of 8 (8,701 Views)

[ Edited ]
Champion (Retired)

Hmm. So Origin refuses to launch in an offline mode when you have no internet connection, that's the theory.

Well, easiest way to test that theory for debugging purposes is that you disconnect your internet completely by unplugging the router and seeing if the Origin launches under those circumstances. If it does, then it probably has to do with the fact that it tries to connect with the spotty internet of yours cause it can detect some online connectivity, and then fails to do so. Whereas if it won't launch indeed at all under circumstances where you literally have no possibility even for an internet connection, then the problem lies there somewhere. For some reason your client won't then start up in offline mode, period.

Message 4 of 8 (8,656 Views)

★★★★ Novice
Yes that is the issue. I've uninstalled reinstalled but nothing changes. No settings allow it to work offline at all. And again these last few months it worked fine in offline. But one day I updated it and it stopped and even now, after having WIPED my computer it reacts the same, it will not function offline at all unless I have internet access first.

After years of using it this is the first time I've encountered this.
Message 5 of 8 (8,610 Views)

★★★ Novice

Mine won’t start offline either. The only solution is to abandon origin and all EA games. There’s no sense in spending THOUSANDS of dollars in games that you can’t play offline

Message 6 of 8 (6,679 Views)

★★ Novice

2021, over four years since the original posts and this is still a problem. I had an Internet connection last night and origin logged in fine and I was able to play games. The Internet is down now (not for my mobile network though) and origin will start in offline mode but won't show my games library. 

Message 7 of 8 (3,043 Views)

Hey there,

Since this is quite an old post, I'm going ahead and locking it to prevent more necro-posting.
If you need help with something, please go ahead and create a new post on the Origin Techinal Support board:
https://answers.ea.com/t5/Origin-Client-Web-Technical/bd-p/origin-technical-issues-en

----------------

Answers HQ Guardian

do not work for EA

Message 8 of 8 (3,024 Views)