Re: Origin does not have the option for multiple install locations

by Commander-LZ2

Original Post

Origin does not have the option for multiple install locations

[ Edited ]
★★ Novice

Hello,

I recently moved to a new computer, and my previous gaming setup was an SSD for my boot drive, and a 1 TB HDD for my games. My new setup is a 500 GB SSD and the same, 1 tb hard drive until I can get a 1/2 TB SSD for the games. The issue I'm experiencing is that I can only have one install folder. With Steam, I can have alot more than 1.

As you can see in the screenshots, Origin has the option for ONE folder, while with Steam I can choose another install directory. So basically I can install certain games that I access alot on my ssd, and games that I don't play often/don't need super fast load times in on my HDD so I don't fill up my SSD.

Currently I have Star Wars Battlefront (2015) installed on my SSD since I play it the most, but now I find out that I can only have one install folder, so I can't play my 6 other games that I have, battlefield 1/battlefield 4/crysis etc. If I want to play those I have to switch my install folder and it's just a mess. That means I can't play battlefront until I switch them again. 

I talked to Ryan from EA about this, and he said the best way to potentially get a result is to create a thread, which is what I'm doing now. Please consider making this a change as it will make my life easier, for sure, as well as other gamers who may have this issue as well.

Stephen

Message 1 of 4 (1,462 Views)

With the origin client, you simply can't. You could install all your games you play often on your SSD first, then reset your installation folder to your HDD and install all your lesser games on HDD. Make shortcuts of your games on SSD on your HDD so that the origin client recognises them in the correct installation folder. I don't know if you are going to loose a lot of disc speed though...

Message 2 of 4 (1,432 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Dear EA, Please consider re-establishing and supporting multiple install directories.

What I do not understand, is that this is a new limitation. I was an early Origin adopter and I have 4 directories, labeled Origin 1-4 which previously worked without incident. Now only 1 folder is listed and all my other previously installed titles are unavailable unless I re-install on the current directory. 

Message 3 of 4 (443 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice
@primarydirective They won't. Because like other companies, such as Apple and Microsoft, they only care about DRM: Digital Restrictions Management: https://www.defectivebydesign.org/what_is_drm_digital_restrictions_management

Which is why it's pointless to argue against their corporate logic. They don't even have a working webform to submit cases on: https://answers.ea.com/t5/EA-General-Questions/Case-history-empty/m-p/8574132#M329096

So do you think they'll fix a technical problem pertaining to their entire platform? Long shot at best. Even the patient community managers on this forum can't actually help with the webform. EA apparently doesn't trust them enough or something, because all issues are forwarded to the webform.

Better to just support gog, as they're DRM-free with all their games and launchers...

Message 4 of 4 (435 Views)