Origin client causes way too much GPU usage at desktop

by DCAustin007

Original Post

Re: Origin client causes way too much GPU usage at desktop

The problem with MSI afterburner is that it automatically overclocks your GPU when the stress load is becoming higher. I believe it is best to just buy a high performance GPU, it doesn't need overclocking so later on, you'll have no problems with it. But this is just my point of view.

@PlaidNads

Perhaps MSI afterburner is still running in the background. It's sometimes not enough to close a program to totally stop it's process. I also had and still have a MSI video card. Had a problem with it too but totally uninstalled it with a specialized program (Ashampoo uninstaller). The problem was solved afterwards. Since then I never install MSI afterburner on my computers any more.

Are you using a nvidia or a radeon video card?

Message 11 of 25 (1,528 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Novice

I have Afterburner set properly (no overclocking whatsoever), and it doesn't leave anything running when I shut it down.  I use it strictly for fan control.
Regardless, Afterburner isn't the problem. 
(I knew I shouldn't have mentioned it, that always derails threads from the actual culprit, which is the Origin client)

Message 12 of 25 (1,519 Views)

I have an MSI card, windows 10 OS and origin client. It all works properly. Don't assume too soon it is the origin client. We haven't ruled out your OS yet. Can you run sfc / scannow in windows command line to rule out unstable or corrupt windows?

As you can read earlier in this post, I reinstalled windows on my former PC and now the origin client runs smoothly on this system. Explanation: *le windows!

Message 13 of 25 (1,513 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Newbie

Origin client still using my gpu on windows 10,after clean boot.Using Firestorm for monitoring from Zotac.Graphics card Zotac GTX 1080 Extreme E.

Message 14 of 25 (1,456 Views)

[ Edited ]
EA DICE Team

@Salvadorres

Correct me if I am wrong, but it appears that your GPU is only using around 50MB (50,000K), depending on what you have open in Origin (it seems at least two tabs, looking at the QtWebEngine processes) then that seems ok.

Message 15 of 25 (1,442 Views)

★★★ Novice

Bump, I have the same problem and it still there more than 1years later. It's not that origin use much GPU but more that Origin client put the driver in 3D mode, that make higher frequency (1084Mhz instand  of 323Mhz) and more power usage (about 50% instand of 10%). This make heat and power usage for nothing. It should run at idle state (323Mhz) when origin client  is  running... I have a Nvidia Geforce GTX680 on 391.01 driver

Message 16 of 25 (1,388 Views)

★ Novice

Very interesting observation popo990.  I wonder if  the client can work as intended without the driver being in 3d mode.  I would think it should.

Message 17 of 25 (1,362 Views)

★★★ Novice

Steam does it Cool

Message 18 of 25 (1,338 Views)

★★★ Novice

Okay problem as been solve for me with Origin update 10.5.14.38647 and Nvidia driver 391.24. I don't know what solve it because I did the 2 update at the same time and realise later that the problem was gone. Standard smile

Message 19 of 25 (1,327 Views)

★★★★ Apprentice

The problem has returned. Origin running causes my gpu to run at full power. It is 100% origin and have spent the last couple hours trying and testing things out.

A simple disable hardware acceleration button should be part of the software to make it so this isn't even an issue. 

Message 20 of 25 (1,044 Views)